Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
havasuguy

Iris question

havasuguy
14 years ago

I moved to Lake Havasu in May. I bought numerous plants, rose bushes, trees, etc. and planted. Then July hit. It gets up to 122 degrees here, so you guessed it, everything I planted died. I'll probably replant everything in late Feb. 2010 to make sure it has a couple more months to establish. Which brings me to the question.

A couple weeks ago, before the extreme summer heat, before the plants died, I bought a lot of iris bulbs online. Then the other day, my $220 worth of iris arrived. (I know. I got the fever one week.) I wanted to create a good size iris garden, obviously. However, I'm concerned about planting these bulbs right now. I'm not an expert on irises, but I know they do like sun exposure. Now I'm wondering if it might be TOO much sun. Should I wait a couple weeks to plant these bulbs? (Will they live?) Should I pot them and place them in my garage for now? (dark) Leave them in the boxes they came in for a few weeks? Or just plant them in a semi shaded location outside, then move to the full sun garden area? Or just plant them in full sun, where they'll sleep safely underground until fall. I can't stand the thought of my garden investment going up in flames, literally.

All of your thoughts are appreciated.

-Terry

Comments (4)