Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ngraham_gw

Opinions on my recent iris purchases

Nancy
13 years ago

Our local iris society had their sale last month & I got a few new ones. I pre-ordered this year, the first time I've ever done that. I got to see most of them in bloom, & others I made a list of names & came home to look them up. The 1st 6 are the ones I ordered, the others I picked up actually at the sale. How do these do for you?

Darcy's Choice

Radiant Bliss

DAwn to Dusk

Wonderful World

Social Graces

Voodoo Child

Gnu Blues

Iris Irene-I just got this because of the name

Ringo

Role Model

Romantic Evening

Sea Quest

Dreamcycle

Sharpshooter

I think if I had been able to look them up first, I may not have bought some of the last ones I picked up. They have pictures of most of them there from the Schreiners catalog, but sometimes the pictures are misleading & what I find on line are not what I would have chosen. Still, they were only $3 ea, & 3 of them were bonus plants so I just can't really go wrong. I've been going to their sales for several years, last year they didn't have but a couple that I wanted. This year they had several new ones.

Comments (13)

• aquawise
    13 years ago

Wish we had something like that around here!!! Good choices though.

• sierra_z2b
    13 years ago

WOW that is an excellent price. Looks like you made good choices to me. The only one I have tried in your list is GNU Blues and it didn't make it through the winter. I would try it again though. But in your zone, I doubt you have to worry about that. At $3. I would have got all these and more. lol

Sierra

• chadinlg Zone 9b Los Gatos CA
    13 years ago

Romantic Evening is a good Iris in California...
    Sharpshooter is similar in Fall darkness, w/buff standards, it grows very well for me.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

I saw Role Model on the SFV Iris Trek, and it really stood out in a sea of other irises. I got Ringo this year too, I can't wait to see it bloom.
    Renee

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

At the price you paid, you sure did get a fantastic buy. I don't know any of those particular iris but heck if you don't like something it's not as you have lost a big investment. Good going!

• Nancy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

When I picked Role Model, I remembered vaguely liking the picture I had seen of it. I was thinking it was a two tone blue though. Really a good thing it isn't though, since I already have a couple the color I thought it was :)
    I hope Romantic Evening will be a good iris here, I love the colors of it.
    Most of the rhizomes weren't really big, but the ones I've bought in previous years have almost all bloomed the following year, so I imagine these will also. Darcy's Choice is a 2007 intro & DAwn to Dusk is 2008. I assume they must be good multipliers for this area to be able to divide this quickly.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Oh- I never thought of that. That's right- if people at the iris society are already dividing a newish intro, it must be a good grower.
    Renee

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    13 years ago

Hi ngraham,

I'm not familiar with any of them. Might any of them be rebloomers?

I placed a small order for just 11 irises with Winton's at Franklin, but won't get them picked up for another week or so. Several I ordered are reliable rebloomers (I think)for Wintons.

Sue

• Nancy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Radiant Bliss, Ringo, & Romantic EVening are the only rebloomers of the group, Sue. They didn't have many rebloomers that I don't already have. I think Ringo is supposed to be a good rebloomer, I don't know about the other 2. What iris did you get?

13 years ago

$3-Come What May-rebloomer
    $2-Corn Harvest-rebloomer
    $2-Glacier King-rebloomer
    $3-Halloween Halo-rebloomer
    $2-Lemon Duet-rebloomer
    $3-Like a Charm-it is am IB and has horns!
    $1-Little Showoff an SDB and rebloomer!
    $3-Maid of Orangea BB and she has it listed as blooming both early and late (???)
    $2-Revival Meeting
    $2-Summer Olympics-rebloomer
    $6-Waxen Image-an IB that reblooms for her

Since I 'shot my wad' (and plan to shoot more) on daffodils from numerous sources, I had to behave on my iris order...that and I'm limited on prepped sun space for them that isn't infected with the 'you know what' (Star of Beth) bulbs.

Will you be needing/wanting any of them once they multiply?

Sue

• Nancy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I really like Come What May & Waxen Image. Halloween Halo & Little Showoff are on my wish list. THe only one I have of these is Summer Olympics, I got it last year. Hopefully, I will know this fall if it reblooms for me. I have so many that are supposed to be rebloomers that just don't for me. Summer Olympics bloomed nicely this spring & was one that didn't fall over after a heavy storm. I really like that about it.
    Maid of Orange looks like such a pretty orange iris. I got a couple of orange iris last year at the iris society-Fireside Glow, Good Show, & Carnival Sunset from a trade. Good Show was the best looking of the 3, a lovely orange glow. Fireside Glow is a rather weak looking plant that I'm rather disappointed in, both its look & its almost wispy plant. I got Orange Popsicle in a trade this year, supposed to be a rebloomer. Hoping it does well, it is sort of a pastel orange though. Maybe we can swap when they multiply? You know I love the rebloomers :)

13 years ago

Maybe we can swap when they multiply? You know I love the rebloomers :)
    Yes, I know you do and hope we can. I'd much rather have a less showy bloom and enjoy it more than once than a more showy bloom and just enjoy it once in the spring time.

• sierra_z2b
    13 years ago

I have Maid of Orange and it blooms before the TB's. As far as I know it is not a rebloomer. It is very pretty.