Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to iris-need thinning

Posted by nanaof5 z5MO (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 30, 08 at 10:29

We purchased a house last December and have an iris bed so thick, they are smothering each other. The leaves are pretty much died down now. I am disabled and cannot do the work myself, I will need to get my grandkids (teens)out to do the work.

The iris are under a mulch of landscape rock. What to do? I do not even know where to start. HELP!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to iris-need thinning

Do you know if they are bearded iris?

Beardeds need to have 6 weeks before the first frost to put down roots. To divide an old tangled clump, dig up the entire mass, dig in some bonemeal or bulb fertilizer, hose the dirt off the mass, toss old withered rhizomes and replant firm ones. If you need to cut a withered portion away from firm, allow the cut to heal overnight in the shade. Cut leaves by 1/2 to keep them from tipping over. Give them a real soaking and ignore for the next month. Then another good soak if you haven't had rain.

o

You might also want to read through the FAQ here at the forum. How do I dig, divide, and transplant bearded irises?

I would start my having them rake the landscape rock well out of the way, so it won't end up full of soil.

Sue

o

Thanks for your response. Yes they are bearded iris, they are beautiful and the colors vary. The bed is the whole width of the house. The landscape rock cannot even be seen because of all of the folage.

My grandkids are going to love me, hehehe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here