Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reblooming Iris

Posted by chere (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 29, 08 at 10:37

Does climate have anything to do with an iris reblooming? I live in CA where it is hot and dry most of the time. Is there a trick to getting a iris to rebloom?

Thank you
Chere

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reblooming Iris

• Posted by jain n ca 9 sunset 9 (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 29, 08 at 11:36

no trick, if you live in ca i think you need to divide every 2 years for maximum blooms spring and summer, they just grow to fast here and crowd out and you will get small rhizomes and blooms.

o

Per the link below...

Reblooming Iris
Normally all bearded Iris will bloom in the spring. There are some varieties that have a genetic tendency to bloom a second time usually in the late summer or fall. These Iris have been called "Remontant" or "Reblooming" Iris. But such rebloom is often dependent on geographic locations, climatic conditions and cultural practices. We are listing the reblooming Iris that have been the most consistent reblooming Iris for us in Oregon. But remember remontancy is NOT guaranteed.

A local grower/seller here only lists the ones that have reliably rebloomed for her as rebloomers on her price list with descriptions, which I find is quite nice.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Reblooming Iris

o

Chere ~~ I have read it is important to give water in the summer plus another feeding.

o

Thank you for all the information. I just ordered some reblooming iris. I am going to lay down some small chicken wire first because a gopher did get in to my front flower bed and ate two then cover it up with some good soil I bought. I will also mix in bone mill and sprinkle with repellent for skunks and raccoons and other critters who might dig them up while looking for other things. I'll let you know if they rebloom.

Chere

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here