Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
my seed pod

Posted by winnie13 ma (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 17, 12 at 12:08

i have at least 8 seed pods and they have been there for a while and i took one and cut it open and realized that there is no seeds in them and was very disappointed, i was expecting to get some seeds :( what causes them to have no seeds inside??? the pods were huge and healthy looking no non carry any seeds..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: my seed pod

Mine too! They cracked open today, and no seeds. I don't know what causes it. They may not be genetically sound, perhaps not enough pollen, or it might be weather related.
Renee

o

I had tons of pods some bumble bee and some my first try at hyb. I had a few with no seeds, Most though were full. I have hundreds of seeds.

o

it has been my experience that most iris will not pollinate themselves but in wet conditions they get their own pollen on the stigma and think they are pollinated but miosis does not occure the resulting pod is what is called a ballooon hope this helps

o

Wow, I've never heard of this, or seen it for that matter. In 10 years I have never had a "false pod". Always either just a non pollinated which drops off pretty quick or a nice big pod full of seeds. You watch I will experience it this coming season just my luck..lol.

Cheers K

o

I've heard that certain types of bearded irises are more prone to what slatestone described than others. I recall hearing something about SDBs or IBs having this happen. Well, here's to fecundity!
Renee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here