Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aunt_lou

Bold Fashion or Starship Enterprise?

aunt_lou
14 years ago

I really want an iris in this color combo and have read a lot of great things about Bold Fashion. Would it be better to go with than Starship Enterprise? Also ----which is the better iris between Edith Wolford and Jurassic Park? They look similarly colored--only perhaps JP is deeper or more intense hues? I am really interested in adding these two diff. color combos to my garden. Do you know of any better than these I mentioned in the same or similar colors? Hope y'all can help me make my choice. Thanks! :)

Aunt Lou

Comments (10)

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

I don't know what would do better in your zone, but here in Southern California, Greenwood Daylilies and Irises claims that Jurassic Park does better.

I bought Starship Enterprise last year and it did not bloom this year. It has not increased well either. I would be inclined to go with Bold Fashion or one of the new intros from the Jedlickas.

Renee

• iris_gal
    14 years ago

I prefer Edith's colors but I agree that Jurassic Park is a more reliable performer. I'm just not terribly fond of it :-(

• carlos42180
    14 years ago

Being east of the Mississippi, Edith Wolford (and anything with Edith Wolford in the parentage, which would include Jurassic Park) are horrible growers and very prone to rot, although out West, they do great from what I hear.

In regards to Bold Fashion and Starship Enterprise, it's a matter of taste really. Bold Fashion is very reliable for me here in Chicago. I've only grown Starship Enterprise for a year and hit hasn't really done much.

Good luck!
    Carlos

• User
    14 years ago

Hate to say this Carlos because I know you are tops with irises however~ "Haut Les Voiles" grows great here and is a daughter of Edith, JPark (which I received last year) also grows well between the two "Haut Les Voiles" wins in my book. Just received "Bold Fashion" this year so I can't give any input there but "Starship Enterprize" has grown and bloom well its first full year here it could increase a bit faster though.

• aunt_lou
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hmmmm---think I will put Bold Fashion on my to get list. So far I have never read a bad thing about her and also hear she has huge blooms! :) Think I will hold off on the others---for now anyways. Definitely need hearty rhizomes here that are not prone to rotting.

Where do I find Jedlickas at? Do they have a web site?

Thanks for all of the input----I really appreciate it!

Aunt Lou

• organic_kitten
    14 years ago

Aunt_Lou,
    I really love Bold Fashion and it does indeed have huge blooms. I just planted Starship Enterprise, so can't tell how it will do yet.
    kay

• carlos42180
    14 years ago

Hi Daloverat,

There are always exceptions. :) Growings Irises in Chicago is a bit strange. Some Iris that do well on the West Coast, but not on the East Coast, do well for me, and some that do well on the East Coast, but not the West Coast, do well for me.

Over the years I have heard a lot of complaints regarding Edith Wolford and her ilk. There was a point in time where my Edith Wolford had grown beautifully, but only in one specific spot I had. Anywhere else and it died, and that was before I moved.

About four or five years ago, there was an entire thread here on GardenWeb about Edith Wolford and how picky it was.
    Maybe for you, you have found her sweet spot, but others might not be so lucky. I tried finding the thread, but its probably long gone by now.

I definitely wouldn't recommend her for any beginner growers.

Sincerely,
    Carlos

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

Hi Aunt Lou,
    The Jedlickas own Blue J Iris. The link is below. Take a look at their intros Wanda Rezac and Three Ring Circus (I think! that's from memory).
    Renee

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue J Iris

• gmason
    14 years ago

I have them both. Have seen them grow in their native gardens. Bold Vision is a big bloom, but it suffers from wind damage and is fairly quick to wilt on a hot day. Its plant habits are superior to Starship Enterprise. I prefer Starship Enterprise. Schreiner's was inclined at the time to introduce plants that had a high bud count. Starship Enterprise does not. It is just so spectacular in a clump that all that just fades away. It hasn't got the best plant habits even out here in the west. If you baby it, it is worth it.

• mikesc
    14 years ago

Aunt Lou:
    I have had bad luck with Starship Enterprise--just not a vigorous grower here. I love Edith Wolford's flower, but it took her quite a while to get established here in SC, and then she still was a very sparse grower. I'd never give up EW, however--even if it means that I only have one stalk of it. Truly a gorgeous yellow and lavender blue bloom.

Personally, I am very excited about "Rainbow High," Keith Keppel's cross of Starship and Rio, which I planted just yesterday. If you get the Keppel catalog it was this year's cover iris. The colors just seem much more vibrant, full and alive than SE. Can't wait to see if it's a better grower!

Good Luck,

Mike

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County