Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kidogo_gw

Not sure what to do with mystery irises at new house-suggestions?

kidogo
13 years ago

Hello,

I hope this isn't redundant, but I did a search and could not find an answer.

In short, we recently relocated from Phoenix to St Louis. My husband has been here since late winter and I joined him about a month ago. Upon my arrival here our well (a real well, not decorative) was overgrown with weeds and ivy - which was growing into the well. Not good thinks I, so I started to pull out the weeds. I planned to plant some ornamental grass I found on clearance, figuring that would keep weeds in check and hide the concrete monstrosity. In my pulling, I discovered there were some struggling rhizomes amongst the mess - which, by the spiky leaves I assume to be irises. I also found a stone outline to an old flower bed that has been buried and taken over by grass. My thought was to mulch over the grass for the winter so the grass dies & adds some nice compost. I can then see what bulbs come up around the well in spring (I know there are daffodils and I found a few mystery bulbs too), them move things around, buy new plants, etc etc and revive the old bed.

My issue is as follows: many of the rhisomes were pulled up in my effort to de-ivy the area and when I planted the ornamental grass. What I pulled up are currently in carboard boxes in my garage. Though suffering from lack of light, the rhizomes all seem to be in good condition - nice and fat - and had not yet gotten compacted. I would like to pull up the rest that are in the ground (which are starting to spout now that they have some light!) and move them to a different location in the future flower bed since the ornamental grass will just choke them out. However, the bed obviously isn't ready to be planted yet. I thought about pots, but unfortunately, most of my gardening stuff is back in Phoenix, and I'd rather not spend a bunch of money on buying duplicate pots (pots are really hard to find out here this time of the year anyhow). I looked into storing them but I have no clue what kind of irises they are, and there are quite a few rhizomes - too many to stash in the fridge. I can replant them back around the well and pull them up again in spring, but I don't know if that is the best option either. Does any one have any suggestions on what I could do with them?

Thank you for you advice!!

Comments (4)

• aggiegrad
    13 years ago

well, I believe you have until mid september to get them back in the ground. as long as you keep them in a cool place between now & then. but, not a fridge. I think that would be too cold. you do know that iris are a little tricky to replant. the rhizome goes above ground, & the roots go below ground. other than the iris you found, you should probably wait till spring to see what else there is planted there. that's the fun of a new garden area. to see what you inherited from the previous owners. when I moved in here 7 years ago, I knew there were things planted here already, but, I didn't know what till the following spring. I even uncovered daylilies that had been covered over by plywood. you just never know what your going to find. good luck with your iris, & don't wait too long to get them reburied. even if you have to put them in a temporary spot, like up in front of the house or in the backyard. you can always dig them up again next year & put them where you really want them. & by then you'll know what they look like, too. don't you just love a good yard mystery? I know I do. in fact, the plants at the stores without tags are my favorite to buy. I'm getting good at recognizing plants just by what they look like. I don't even look at the tags much anymore. anyway, good luck with your mystery spot. have fun with the mystery.

• ashes_of_the_fire
    13 years ago

I agree, and wherever you decide to put the irises they'll be happier than when they were covered up. I took a bunch from my aunt's house, they were dying in the shade, they should bloom for me next year. I can't wait to see what i've got!

I also would leave the irises where they are thoug and then see what comes up in the spring, and also give them some time to fatten up and increase a bit before you do move them, and also because you want to see what other bulbs you have there anyway.

Just my thoughts.

• kidogo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the advice! Still looking for a place to put them The ivy is back (no surprise) so I a not sure if I will be able to use the old spot. Waiting for the next good rain too so the ground will be wet enough to work :)

• aggiegrad
    13 years ago

where ever you decide to put them just make sure they get good sunlight. iris don't like a lot of shade. I know all about weeds. my goal is to get rid of the grass & plant flowers all over my yard. mother nature has her own ideas of what to plant in my yard though. it seems like every available blank spot she has decided needs weeds instead. she must like them a lot. because they are all over. every day I intend to start planting what I want, & I end up pulling up the weeds instead. but, I'm making progress. good luck with your mystery spot. I love a good yard mystery. that's the fun of gardening. never knowing what your going to find.