Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Napa and Mid America Iris bed all planted (pics)

newyorkrita
13 years ago

Here is the newly done part of the backyard were I put in a mostly daylily and TB iris garden in what used to be my veggie area.

This is were I planted the iris from both the Napa and Mid America orders.

I have three rows of iris and this is my biggest iris bed in the entire garden. No where to put another.

It doesn't look exactly even must be the angle. But it is three evently spaced out rows of iris. The two outside rows are level with each other and the middle row zigged to be mid between the outer two. I still have the very last of the middle row empty yet. Will put something there!

Comments (29)

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I hate to waste space. I was thinking. I see all that room. I can't see why I shouldn't plant some daffs, tulips, crocus or dutch iris there in between the iris. The bloom time is way earlier. Well, Dutch Iris might bloom just before the TB. But the others much earlier. Maybe crocus have too much folliage after they bloom. I know it can get large and raggedy from having them in other places. But tulips and daffs don't have that much folliage to die down. And they come up were planted, not wander over.

I can see were big clumps would be a bad idea. But simply afew bulbs between each iris space? And then if they clump up I can divide the bulbs. I have never had a problem with tulips clumping up. They die out in afew years and you have to get new ones anyway.

So before I think too hard on what bulbs to plant there I figgure I would ask and see why I shouldn't do it. After all the bulbs can be easily moved if they end up eventually too close to the iris. And I just hate the idea that all that space is there for just one bloom period when bulbs could add so much and die down before summer so you didn't even know they are under there.

Plus tulips don't like lots of watering so they at least go with iris really well.

• sierra_z2b
    13 years ago

Rita,
    Tulips die out because the bulbs underground divide and crowd themselves out. You won't see them clump up like lilies. If you lift the tulips bulbs and divide and plant only the largest ones, they will last for many years. Some kinds need dividing every year where others every second year. I have 2 kinds of double tulips that I have been doing this with for about 13 years.....and they still put on a nice show every spring. They are not as double as they use to be but still double. They kind of looked like peony flowers the first few years...now they just look like double tulips.

The other thing about certain kinds of tulips is that they carry a disease that is transferable to real lilies. You may want to look up info on this before you plant. I don't know how close your iris beds are to your lily beds. If I understand this correctly, it is only the broken coloured tulips that carry this virus to the lilies by way of insects.

I haven't tried adding tulips to iris beds, but I have added them to hosta beds. And since the tulips have to be dug up more than the hostas, I found it a pain. Might work okay with iris, since they usually have to be dug up at least every 3 years.

Can you tell me what spacing you used between the TB iris in your new bed.....and how far apart are the rows. Thanks.

Sierra

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The iris in the rows are 16 inches apart going down the row. Alittle wider between the rows. Before you tell me this is not a wide space, I crowd everything. It means the shrubs need prunning more often and the daylilies dividing more ofen but it really works for me. I do not plan to let the iris form big clumps, I don't have the room.

I already have tulips and have planted them here for years, lilies or not. I don't dig them, lift them or divide them. I plant them and after afew years they more or less die out and I buy and plant more. I would rather plant new than to fuss with it any other way. I simply have too much other garden work to do each spring. Plus the fact that they do not clump actually works in a case like this thinking about planting between iris. They die out by the time the iris clump up. Eventually it all needs to be redone (iris divided, new tulips planted).

Anyway, I do have a habit of breaking all sorts of garden rules. You should see my roses. Everyone saiz they are just stunning and I think so too. They are planted so close, 12-18 inches apart mostly, which breaks every rule there is.

I really am new to iris and I just don't understand some things. Like why I see iris either planted in amoungst the garden, which I get, or in beds totally by themselves. It seems to me the by themselves like I just did with the iris bed, could be multitasked by adding spring bulbs. But I never see it done that way.

• sylviatexas1
    13 years ago

I think you have the right idea;
    plant those bulbs & let them do what they do best, & if they crowd themselves out in a few years, you'll have room for something else.

The only thing I'm not sure about, since tulips are 'annuals' here (too much summer heat, not enough winter cold) is whether tulips would get too cold in an unmulched bed such as iris need.

• sierra_z2b
    13 years ago

Rita, Ummm I hope I am reading your post wrong, you sound very defensive??? You asked questions and I tried to help you out here...giving you info that I have experienced or found out.You can take it or leave it, I don't care, I was just passing it along so you would know if you didn't already.

I was asking about spaceing of your iris because in your photos it looks like you left more space than what I have in my iris beds. I also have iris mixed in many of the mixed perennial beds. Again I plant much closer than what is recommended as well. Yes it does mean more work.....but it looks full and lush and isn't that the look we are all going for? So not sure what garden rules you feel you are breaking...or who said what to you in the past..but it wasn't me. I have been gardening for many MANY years and in many different zones. From zone 2 to zone 9. I have built my present garden over the last 14 years from scratch.

As far as tulips getting to cold. I live in zone 2 and grow tulips....so cold is not a problem. I don't mulch my garden. And by the way my garden is 1/4 acre. It isn't small.

I really do hope I misunderstood your post.

Sierra

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sierra-

Sorry if my post came thru with the wrong tone. Honestly I did not mean it too. People do always tell me things are crowded, I know it so I figgured I would just address that right off the bat. Wasn't meant as any criticism or anything except for information. I don't take offense were none was given. No, it wasn't you who said things are too close.

I too like the full look and my garden just isn't large enough to make everthing fit unless I get creative or just plant closely.

I really didn't think the cold would be a problem but wasn't sure. I think heat is worse on tulips than cold.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Rita, I think you can put bulbs between the irises. I plant glads and lilies between mine. No experience with tulips- here they are annuals. Dutch irises might be nice.
    Renee

• sierra_z2b
    13 years ago

Good to hear Rita. LOL I was just kind of shocked because it hadn't even crossed my mind. Gardens are ever changing and if something in my garden is to close to the point it doesn't work....I just move it. That is interesting about how close your roses are. I have seen your photos and they are beautiful. Hey if it works why not.

I am redoing my entire garden in the next 2 or 3 years. My garden, like I said is big, so it will take me at least that long to get it all done.

Dutch iris might be nice for you to add. I plant them in the fall here and if lucky I see them bloom in the spring and then they die out for me and don't come back the next year. The flowers are beautiful though, so I sometimes still plant them for that one spring show. Do they come back for several years in the higher zones?

And ya in the higher zones tulips are annuals they need a cold period.

What ever you decide I can't wait till spring to see the show.

Sierra

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

I love spring bulbs between bearded iris. They work great because both don't want much summer water. I also allow nigella, annual candytuft, calendula, alyssum, etc. to reseed amongst the beardeds.

If I had acreage maybe I'd have a dedicated bearded bed. But I doubt it.

Looking forward to your pics Rita!!!

• daylilyluver
    13 years ago

Rita,

Mine are planted 12 inches or less which is probably the reason I haven't been getting such great bloom.

I see no problem with interplanting with spring flowering bulbs and/or other perennials. You may lose something once the iris start filling in however.

How did you like your order from Napa. i was very pleased. :)

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This was the first time I ever ordered from Napa. I was very pleased and would definately order again. However Schreiners rhizomes again beat everyones in size. They remain my top favorite iris vendor. If Schrieners carried the newest from the other top name hybridizers they would be perfect. But they don't so I had to look around to get what I wanted.

I got pretty positive replies from my plant bulbs question (also posted it on the cottage garden forum). And I really wanted the spring color. So last night I ordered bulbs from Scheepers. I ordered a single early tulip mix, some early blooming daffs and lots and lots of Dutch Iris. The Dutch Iris some will go between the bearded iris and some in the garden in front of the iris bed. And I doubt and the daffs and tulips I just ordered will all go in the iris bed. I don't want to crowd it. But I have plenty of other garden to plant in LOL!

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Oooh! I can't wait to see!
    I love just looking at these photos to see the daylilies in bloom. Take a photo from the same angle- when the bulbs bloom, when the irises bloom, and then when the daylilies bloom. The ever-blooming garden.
    Renee

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Renee- That is the idea, a sucession of things in bloom so that there is always (or near always) color. PLus I really do need to make all my room count as I don't have a really large garden. So I just see the space between the iris as an opportunity to get more spring color.

The worst thing that might happen is that it wouldn't work and I have to move some bulbs. I just think its worth a shot. I break every rule in the book with my roses and it has worked out really well for me. So sometimes thinking outside the box is the way to go.

• nicole__
    13 years ago

Grass took over my iris bed. It pierces the tuber & kills them. I'm leary of something that will kill my iris. So I did like you, planted only iris, I didn't label mine. Then I added peonies, 3. Only 2 came up, only 1 is coming in strong. Honestly......I don't want anything else growing with the iris. From a distance it looks full.

• nicole__
    13 years ago

I just found the other picture...up close...see ALL the dirt.....but from a distance...looks full....

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think people might have two concepts mixed up here. I am not looking to make the iris bed look fuller, not planting anything the will show up all year. Nothing that will bloom at the same time as the iris. I want twice the bang for my gardenspace by having early spring bloom (spring bulbs) and then the iris will bloom when its time for them.

That first picture showing the bloom in the entire bed is stunning. My yard is so small though compared to the space I think you have. I am not going to looking from far away but rather from up close. I see there is room in your iris bed. More Iris?

• nicole__
    13 years ago

Actually......minature iris bloom when daffodils bloom....so more iris for you? :0) Daffodils look so messy when they finish blooming....

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Daff folliage isn't all that bad and it does eventually go away. I am not familiar with minature iris. Is that a bearded iris, as in with a rhizome? Or some sort of bulb?

• sierra_z2b
    13 years ago

There are several kinds of bearded iris.
    SDB-Standard dwarf bearded
    MDB-miniture dwarf bearded
    MTB-miniture tall bearded
    IB-intermediate bearded
    BB-border bearded
    These all bloom at different times. Here the SDB's and MDB's are the earliest to bloom. Then the BB's. The IB's, the TB's, at the end of the TB's the MTB's start and the last to bloom here is the Reblooming TB's.

There is also reticulata iris which are small bulbs that bloom in spring with the rest of the small bulbs. These are cute little iris.

Sierra

• nicole__
    13 years ago

I planted dwarf bearded iris inbetween the taller bearded iris. There's iris blooming all the time if you plant RE-bloomers.....just an idea....

Here are the mini's blooming. As you can see, the size competes with the tall beardeds foliage.....something to consider....

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

When I first got into bearded Iris I thought I should get rebloomers but after looking and researching what should rebloom in my area I passed on it. I like fancy flowers with lots of ruffles. The rebloomers were so plain, I didn't care for any that I saw.

I might find some to try someday but for now, not looking for them.

Thanks for the list of all the different bearded Iris. I don't much care for any of them. I want big fancy flowers with lots of impact. To me that means TB iris. I don't like smaller flowers or shorter flowers. I am even really picky on the TB. They have to be fancy, wide falls and lots of ruffles or I will not buy it. Not trying to dissagree with anyone elses taste, just that I know what I really go wow over.

• sierra_z2b
    13 years ago

Rita, Do you have a list somewhere of all your ruffly Tall Bearded iris? I find it hard to tell from photos if they falls are wide and ruffly.

I have found the rebloomers are not as big and definately not as many ruffles. And they don't rebloom for me...my season is to short....but they do extend my iris season...since they bloom last usually.

Sierra

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Yeah, I wish hybridizers would spend a bit more time developing fancy rebloomers. Mr. Hager produced quite a few rebloomers before he died. I don't follow the iris world enough to know who is working on rebloomers now.
    Breakers is big and ruffly, I think. Mesmerizer is another rebloomer that looks big and ruffly.

Renee

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

There must be bigger flowered and more ruffled rebloomers but I just don't know about them.

No, no list of the ones that are most ruffly. But when I look at pictures of iris for sale I always pass by the ones with no (or slight) ruffling. Then skinny falls is next on my no buy list. Have you ever seen SEA POWER? That's the kind of ruffles that I like.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nicole- I do love the whole bed shot you posted about above. Lots of bloom and very pretty. Especially from far away. Its just that the other (not TB) iris are just not what I am looking for.

• sierra_z2b
    13 years ago

I just bought 'Breakers' this year. So glad to hear it is a ruffly one.
    Sierra

• daylilyluver
    13 years ago

I'm trying Breakers and Immortality for rebloom. They were just planted in July so maybe we'll see how they do next year.

• mikesc
    13 years ago

Hey Rita,
    Boy, can I ever relate to not having much space! I will tell you that I have no choice but to grow iris close together, and they have always done beautifully for me. Right now, in my main bed of iris, there are lots of summer blooming annuals--zinnias and cosmos. Larkspur grows really early here, and my first iris start blooming in late April, so those two looked really nice together. When you see photos from Schreiner's they always have lupines growing with the iris.

I grow Sea Power and love it. It is a beautiful flower. Keppel and Joe Ghio have a lot of ruffled iris. Check out Adoregon and Kitty Kay from Keppel and Forever Blowing Bubbles by Ghio. I grew FBB this year and was blown away by its garden presence, and My Beloved looks like an even bigger, more dramatic version, though I haven't ordered it.

Good luck,
    Mike in SC

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mike, my iris are so close together that summer annuals would not work between them. I have them in rows with 16 inches between the iris in the row. I can't even imagine trying to stick lupines in there and making them fit! But I can do it this way or have far less types of iris. I would rather do it my way. Although I do think zinnias and cosmos would be beautiful between iris clumps.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists