Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dug them up--how to 'save' for a few weeks?

Posted by deanna_in_nh 5a (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 18, 09 at 14:58

I had to dig up some purple/yellow historic irises and I have some bearded irises, also. I'll be taking quite a few of them to a swap, so my question involves what to do with them until then. Right now I've put them in a shady location lying on the ground. I haven't trimmed any fans off yet. What should I do with them for the next 5 weeks while I'm waiting for a plant swap? Should I just keep them in the shade, put them in the basement? I know they should be planted 6 weeks before frost and can be overwintered in the basement, but I don't know the best thing to do with them for a temporary amount of time before replanting. If I leave them in the shady spot for 5 more weeks (about 6 week total for historic, 9 weeks total for bearded) will it stress them?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dug them up--how to 'save' for a few weeks?

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/iris/msg0817133316406.html

o
RE: Dug them up--how to 'save' for a few weeks?

My personal experience is that bearded iris planted in September don't have time to establish enough to survive. Replanting them now would be fine. Replanting them in late September isn't. I'd pot them up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here