Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are the most fragrant heritage iris?

Posted by eukofios 8 Maritime NW (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 28, 12 at 16:15

As i age my sight isn't as good, and my hearing isn't as good. I find that I get double pleasure from the most strongly fragrant flowers. Many sites list "fragrant" or "slightly fragrant" but I'm wondering how much of that is marketing. Are there some iris, that are extremely strongly fragrant? Especially, older or heritage varieties? I think I prefer old varieties, thinking they will hold up better in our rainy northwest springs.

Thanks for any thoughts. Probably too late to buy for this year but I can plan ahead!

I've seen comments about grape flavored (Caprice) and root beet flavored (Picador and Inca Chief) so I will look for those.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are the most fragrant heritage iris?

here is a short list of Fragrant ones.

BLACK AS NIGHT Ruffled and fragrant.
BLACK MAGIC licorice fragrance
BLATANT Musky scent
BLITZ fragrant
BOYSENBERRY BUTTERCUP Fragrant.
CYCLES fragrant
DAWN'S EDGE fragrant
FATHOM Fragrant
FLYBY FRAGRANT.
GRAPE SITUATION grape Kool-Aid fragrance
GRAPETTE marvelous grape fragrance.
LADY JANE Fragrant.
LEMON PLEDGE Fragrant.
LIKE A CHARM Fragrant
MAKE MINE MISTY Sweet fragrance.
MARY FRANCES Fragrant
MILLION MILES fragrant
ORANGE POPSICLE fragrant
PATRICIA CLAIRE Fragrant
RUSH HOUR fragrant
SCARLET SAGE fragrant
SCENTED BUBBLES very fragrant
SEPTEMBER SAILOR Fragrant root beer
SOONER SERENADE fragrant
SUNNY DISPOSITION Very fragrant
SWERTII Great fragrance
THAT SCENTSATION Fragrant
TRICK OR TREAT fragrant
VANITY'S CHILD fragrant

o

Just found this list from here too. For some reason, it didn't show up when I searched. Added the link in case anyone else reads this.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fragrant Iris on Garden Web

o

Purple iris are most fragrant. My top picks are Caprice, pallida dalmatica and germanica. Good Luck :)

o

English Charm smells like cat pee.

o

Elmsvane - interesting. I wondered about that too, if it was just my imagination. I put in a pre-order for all three, from Old House Gardens. They send in Spring (interesting, but they say it works). That they are very old, traditional, and fragrant, probably came from someone's yard or a cemetery at some point, or were "found", are all pluses. Perfect for my yard. Very excited.

Still thinking about others, too, and will go through those listed here with relish.

No cat-pee irises, please. Maybe they would repel deer? They say fig trees smell the same way, and that deer don't touch them either.

Gotta find that September Sailor. An iris that smells like root beer would be a lot of fun.

o

lol Renee being that was the only thing you wrote in your message made it 100 times more funny!!! ROFL!
Maybe we could give our English Charms a good dousing of essence of lavender to spruce up their fragrance. lol
You are a hoot Renee!

Rena'

o

Amethyst Flame smells of cheap soap.

o

Another root-beer-scented oldie is Alcazar.

Many iris with I. pallida background have a grape soda scent.

o

Definitely need to look around for a start of Alcazar! root-beer scented would be fun.

I think I will plant my heritage irises in a raised bed similar to my vegetable beds. I like them for what they are, more than as a landscaping plant. Plus, in the raised beds they will not require leaning over so far to smell them.

o

Can anyone on here look at aquawise's list know weather it's re-blooming and weather it's early mid or late bloooming

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here