Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oregonwoodsmoke

Bunny Damage

oregonwoodsmoke
13 years ago

What an unpleasant surprise.

Iris is just about the only thing that can be grown outside a fence where I live, because the deer don't eat them. So I just planted 21 nice fat new iris rhizomes (of a noid black), outside the deer fencing where they would be oh-so-pretty.

3 days later, every leaf is gone and some of the rhizomes have been eaten. Rhizomes weren't pulled up, so it wasn't the deer. The iris had to be nibbled off by bunnies.

This wasn't a taste and reject. 21 iris plants is a lot of leaves to eat, even if the fans had been trimmed.

So, I am hoping that I can pull the rhizomes back up and move them into the orchard, with the deer and bunny proof fence.

Darn rabbits. Why can't they make themselves useful and eat some weeds?

Comments (2)

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Yeah! Iris leaves can't possibly taste good.
    It's such a great feeling when you get all of those rhizomes planted- and now you have to do it all over again? What a bummer.
    Renee

• ashes_of_the_fire
    13 years ago

my bunnies were very discriminating this past winter (they only venture into my garden in the winter-time, my rose of sharon(s) are their biggest victims)they only really ate down my pallidas, i just thought that it was weird that they would pick out those ones and leave most of the others. they must know the difference. Also, besides the rose of sharon, my bunnies apparently can't seem to get enough lambs ear and carnations, just as a warning to anyone who has bunnies and these plants. they also like to trim my lily stalks to the ground as well.