Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
a2zmom_gw

MY Siberian Iris Didn't Bloom Long - Only a Week

a2zmom_Z6_NJ
13 years ago

So, I'd like to increase bloom time next year.

I suspect I should have watered them more (I have Bennerup Blue and Forrest McCord). How much water should I be giving them - is an inch a week enough? It's been very hot this year.

Secondly, in the spring, I topdress with composted cow manure. Should I use something else?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (4)

• sierra_z2b
    13 years ago

When I water my sibs, I usually leave the soaker hose on for 8 to 12 hours. When I water over head with the sprinkler I usually leave it on 2 to 3 hours. I am not sure how much water they get doing this....but the blooming period definately lasts more than a week.

I use compost and composted manure in the spring on the gardens. Just don't put it on the plants.....just around them.

• duluthinbloomz4
    13 years ago

I have quite a few clumps of Siberians, all either the royal blue Caesar's Brother or white Snow Queen. They're in full sun and get water when it rains - which has been regular and more than adequate this year. Scattered around between all the clumps of varying sizes and number of bloom stalks, I get a bloom time of about two weeks.

A few days for each individual bloom seems normal to me and the nature of the plant.

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

Are these new? Maybe they need time to get established.

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry it took a few days to read your responses. Life got a little crazy.

It sounds like I definitely need to water more, especially since this was such a droughty summer.

newyorkrita, the Bennerups were planted last year and the McCords were divided two years ago. I expected the McCords to not bloom much last year, but I was hoping they'd bounce back this year. It sounds like I need to give them a bit more TLC in the future.

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
Award-Winning Interior Designer in Loudoun County | 12x Best of Houzz