Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Iris - To Store or to Transplant

Posted by suzster NJ (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 26, 08 at 17:58

We are starting some extension work on our house this Sept, and a beautiful bed of iris will be disturbed. Want to keep them - is it best to find some way to store them over the winter (and how would I do that) - or best to transplant to a temporary place this fall, then transplant again next fall to their new flower bed. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Iris - To Store or to Transplant

You could plant them in large pots - overwinter in a sheltered place and then move them to new home next year.
irisman646

o

I have read some people did not lose their rhizomes by overwintering in paper bags in their basement.

I don't know if these were newer hybrids or not?

I would do as irisman suggests.

o

Irisman646... should I dig up the rhizomes as they are and plant in a big pot - or should clean them up - cut off the dead leaves, dead roots, then transplant into pot. What do you recommend? Thanks for you ideas.

o

Hi!
We are talking about Bearded Iris, right?

If it were me I'd pot them too. I would dig them up, and rinse off the dirt, most of the dead flags will fall off, and plant them in pots. Don't cut the roots though. You're likely to have to trim back the flags anyway, because a good part of the time, they fall over when transplanted... But not always, so you can wait to see if they fall before cutting them back if you like.

Hope that helps! :) -Liz

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here