Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ivan21_gw

Help IDing 3 irises

Ivan21
11 years ago

Dear fellow gardeners,

this spring and summer I've fell in love with irises and have planted 4 new varieties in my family garden. 3 different irises have however already been growing around the house for the past 10 years (the purple and white ones maybe even since the previous owners - 30 years ago) and I would need some help figuring out what they are.

First our garden is full of these:

Sorry if the colors are a bit off, I took these pictures a few years ago. These are very drought tolerant which fits my region near the Adriatic coast (currently 2 months no rain with daily temperature above 30�C). I've never transplanted them, and almost every house in my village has these. I have always thought of them just as wild flowers since we never took care of them. Currently I've been wondering if they are maybe Dalmatian iris (Iris pallida) or maybe just Iris germanica?

Next is this one:

This one is a bit lower than the previous one and doesn't make such big clumps. Could it be Iris albicans?

And last:

This one my mum bought at a nursery but she never bothered to write down it's name, it's tall, stable with good branching habit. I cross-bred this one with a very dark purple iris my neighbour gave me, can't wait to get the seeds germinating in winter.

Thanks in advance for any help or responses.

Ivan

Comments (8)

Sponsored