Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will any of the iris I plant now will bloom next spring?

Posted by fireballga GA 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 25, 08 at 19:02

Hi everyone,

I'm new to growing iris, and have a few dozen rhizomes I've ordered that will be planted this week. I'm sure they won't all bloom, but is there any chance that I may see some of them flower next spring?

Thanks so much for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will any of the iris I plant now will bloom next spring?

Well ......................... I'll put it this way. If you get no bloom at all, order elsewhere.
If you get 50% bloom, hooray. If greater than that share your source and your soil!

o

LOL...thanks, iris_gal! That sounds reasonable to me. :-) If I see 50% bloom this spring, I will be ecstatic, that's for sure. I appreciate your reply!

o

Welcome to the iris forum. I agree that you should expect at least 50% bloom next Spring, if you plant them where they will get at least 6 hours sun. Where in Georgia are you? I'm in Warm Springs and have over 2000 (500 plus different). There are several iris clubs in Georgia - we would love having you in one of them. Marvin E.

o

Hi there,

I am about to plant the 19 rhizomes I ordered from Cooley's website and I have been wondering to myself about the success as well. I live in Washington DC so I have good old clay soil, which I amend with Bumper Crop anytime I plant something new. The website sells a "Spring and Fall combo" of fertilizers---one to apply in each season---but I am puzzled: NEITHER has the formulation which the planting instructions from the bulb shipment suggests to use! Should I assume that the ones they sell are sufficient, or should I also buy another (Anderson's is the only brand I can find with that specific nitrogen count)?

Sorry if I went off-topic; first time poster, be patient! : )

o

When I moved to my new location last year, I moved my entire Iris collection with me. Because I couldn't plant them all the way, I had everything, plus new acquistitions, growing in pots. I tried Walter Moores' potting method, which can be found on the web, and it works wonders.

Even though I only was able to put half of my irises into the ground. The results were phenomenal. Now it could be because my "new ground" has more nutrients than the soil at my old house, but highly doubt it. I had about 85% of the planted Irises bloom this spring, thus giving me my best Iris season ever. I highly suggest you try out his technique.

Carlos

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here