Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Moldy Rhizomes!

Posted by TNY78 7a-East TN (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 19:31

I'm a newbie iris grower and I received my order from Ross Road Iris last week...I opened the box and they looked wonderful...big and healthy! I didn't have time to deal with them until today and when I went out to the garage to get them, I noticed most had developed fuzzy green, black, and white mold on the leaves and roots (totally my fault for leaving them in my hot humid garage all week wrapped up). I know with daylilies I can soak them in water mixed with alittle bleach to kill any mold that develops on their roots, but I wasn't sure if I should do the same with the iris since they seem to be more water sensative and don't like getting too wet. What is your advice?

Tammy

Here's a couple of pictures of what's going on :(

photo 20130822_192704_zps65c03714.jpg

This one is about the worst with its big black mold puff on top :(
 photo 20130822_193003_zps14e52394.jpg

photo 20130822_192921_zpse81354a1.jpg

This post was edited by TNY78 on Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 22:29

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Moldy Rhizomes!

I would do the same for the iris. Just dip in a light bleach solution, maybe 10% bleach, try to wipe off as much mold as you can, then separate them out flat to dry well before you plant. Probably not even necessary for the bleach solution, but seems like a nice safeguard to me. Just be sure to get them dry before planting. They still look quite healthy, I've planted much worse looking rhizomes & they have done great.

o

• Posted by TNY78 7a-East TN (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 12:48

Thanks :) So do I soak them in the bleach solution for a few hours, or just dip them and take them right out?

Tammy

o

Dip. Then dry completely. Irises do not like to be moist- they need cool and dry, unlike daylilies.

You can trim down the tops a little bit to get rid of the mold. They should be fine.

Renee

o

• Posted by TNY78 7a-East TN (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 15:00

Sounds good...thank you both!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here