Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hensinthehouse

Pairing Iris in the garden

sherry Austin
11 years ago

I don't have my Iris in specific dedicated beds, but place them in the garden with all types of other plants. I'm wondering if any of you have any combinations that you really like (iris or other plants).

Here's 'Stepping Out' with a white pine cultivar

Comments (8)

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Gorgeous! That's a great garden iris.

I like irises with most everything.
    Here is Plum Pretty Whiskers with roses. New Leaf in the background.

{{gwi:669103}}
    Renee

• aseedisapromise
    11 years ago

I had my iris at my old house in a xeriscape garden out by the street. I paired them with salvias, catmints, jupiter's beard, yarrows, penstemon, dianthus Firewitch and daffodil and allium bulbs.

I have seen some pictures of others gardens that have had columbines, which I thought were lovely. Also various annuals. I am thinking of having some Allwood pinks at my new house.

• sherry Austin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow! and wow!
    First picture... Is the yellow rose 'Julia Child" or 'Graham Thomas'? I'm thinking G.T., but mine is much taller.. I really like the 'Plum Pretty Whiskers' with it.. Lavender and yellow are so complimentary together.

I've got white Jupiter's Beard which I also think is a nice companion to Iris.. both in foliage and texture.. but it self-shows like crazy here.. I'm reconsidering it... Yarrow and catmint are also really rewarding.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

That's Julia Child, Sherry.

I love Jupiter's beard. It gets too unruly for me though, because I water a lot. Yarrow is a huge favorite of mine, but I prefer the yellow/gold variety Moonglow. It has silver foliage and a nicer plant habit than the others I have.

Columbines are magical with irises. Mine get a yucky leaf miner, so I may have to avoid planting them for a few years.

Renee

• aseedisapromise
    11 years ago

Well, it isn't as wet here, and I just go out with a trowel twice a year and swipe away the JB seedlings with it and that works for me. I also cut it back once during the summer when a lot of the seedheads are ready to fly. Sometimes I forget though. Then the trowel. I think if I lived in a wet place I wouldn't plant it either. Another plant I have is Snow in Summer, which is like JB in how it takes over if you aren't careful.

• hippiris
    11 years ago

Wow, looking at your lovely photos, it has definitely changed my planning for the upcoming season. My garden is planted with my many irises as the feature plants, a speckling of other "grass/foliage" plants including a few kangaroo paw and liriope. Will be scouring the net for some other colour to fill in . Will take some photos too. Of the over-all garden not just individual blooms.

Cheers, K

• aseedisapromise
    11 years ago

I'll be happy to see your photos, hippiris! Great!

• wieslaw59
    11 years ago

Sherryaustin, if your iris looks like on the picture then it is DEFINITELY NOT Stepping out. Too light and the plicating is too narrow.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations