Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A squirrel stole my iris!

Posted by redwolfdoc 5b (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 22:10

Found a new Purple Joy SDB uprooted today - got it at auction last week and planted it as part of a new grouping (Ominous Stranger, Thunderbird, Night Owl, and Purple Joy in front). I replanted it and made a mental note to put down some deer repellent first thing tomorrow morning, since it's supposed to rain tonight. Squirrels are my main problem, not deer, but the repellent should help. Anyways, not three hours later I was taking a walk around the yard, visiting the garden as I like to do, and.... it's gone! Just plain not there any more! Can't find it anywhere! Has anyone here ever had squirrels just uproot and make off with irises before? I'm really upset!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A squirrel stole my iris!

You don't have voles or gophers do you?

o

No, it's definitely squirrels. Here in southern Ontario we have a really aggressive population - they're known for being urban terrorists! On my university campus they actually chewed holes in window screens and let themselves into dormitories to steal food!

Another new iris went missing today but I found it slightly chewed and dumped in my herb planter.

I've tried Plantskydd. Wish me luck!

o

Holy moly. Marauders.

o

Please don't have them teach this to my squirrels!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here