Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
recommendations ?

Posted by Indiana.Matt 6a Indiana (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 26, 12 at 22:26

I'm looking for a deep pink colored iris that almost glows. Photos on Google of "Cranberry Ice" is like what I'm looking for.

Can anyone recommend a tall, bearded Iris that I might like. Is "Cranberry Ice" as bright as it looks in most of the photos on Google?

I have a deep purple "Superstition". I don't need another purple Iris. I need something that is for sure on the pink side.

"Superstition" looks purple from a distance, I need a deep pink Iris that looks pink from a distance.

Thanks,
Matthew
Indiana.Matt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: recommendations ?

To my eyes,'Cranberry Ice' appears to be kind of red and purple, but if you like it, why not get it?

How about 'Sheer Ecstacy'? It's the brightest one I can think of in a dark pink.

True pinks are hard to come by in irises. The pinkest pink iris is generally thought to be 'Ovation' which is a historic iris. There are a lot of orchid pinks that are bright, like Persian Berry and Jennifer Rebecca.

Good luck with your search.
Renee

o

'Cranberry Ice' would look great with 'Superstition'. It won an Award of Merit (AM) in '79. I'd put it in the group of red-purples-violet-etc. Not as wine-color as others.

As Hosenemesis said true pinks are difficult. The pastels come the closest.

Orchid pinks tend to glow, like 'Delirious' which is next to impossible to get a picture of its true color.

Love talking about pinks!

o

I had Cranberry Ice many years ago and it had NOTHING to do with pink, even by a long shot. I yanked it, cause with me the color was always muddy. The only iris that looks deep pink from a distance is Ovation, but it has never been a good grower for me.

o

I know people like to always push the color envelope with their plants, but I decided long ago to just let the iris do what they do best, and when I wanted a bright pink by my Superstition, then I planted a Firewitch Dianthus.

o

Beautiful garden! Thank you for sharing this photo with us. I really love the dianthus with the black irises. Everything looks so perfect!
Renee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here