Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jason83_gw

Bearded Iris in Zone '9-ish' (North FL)

jason83
13 years ago

I searched all over the Florida Gardening forum with extremely mixed results on the success of these here in North Florida. I am also working backwards here, as I have 30 beautiful varieties of Iris coming in the mail in the next couple of days!

Many sources say that the Bearded Iris can grow all the way to zone 9 and 10 and don't need a cold period. Is this accurate? We are "in between" zone 8b and 9a.

We have an acre of ground here and the soil is practically pure sand. We also do not get nearly as much rain here, whereas a mile down the road gets soaked daily we get rain once per week. It's so hot and dry here that I have to water everything twice a day even in partial shade to prevent wilting, and that's with hundreds of pounds of compost and peat mixed in and 3 inches of mulch.

So with that said, is it safe to assume that I would not have to worry about rhizome rot?

I appreciate any help you guys can offer in advance! Thank you!!! :)

Jason

Comments (6)

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Gee, it sounds like bearded irises would be ideal in your circumstances. They love well-drained "soil" if that's what we can call the stuff you have! It sounds like it is difficult to work with.

I don't think bearded irises need cold. I'm in So Cal, and it doesn't get cold here and they grow well.

What did you get?

Renee

• njiris
    13 years ago

Where in North Florida are you? The Panhandle?
    I have heard of people getting mixed results, so it is not impossible.
    TB's do not need a freeze to thrive. But I understand that the dwarfs/medians do.
    Please let us know if they do thrive for you, as I am very much interested as I might move down there, but not if they are going to die on me!

• jason83
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you both for the quick replies! I am in Northeast Florida - about 20 miles South-West of Jacksonville / I-95.

I bought 3 each of 10 different varieties. I got the first shipment already and planted my first row in an old vegetable garden graveyard that needs work. This area of the property gets about 9-10 hours of full sun and is quite hot! Here are some pictures:

{{gwi:1037195}}

As you can see we are working with very sandy, almost barren soil. I added a light dusting of peat moss on top of the sand - this will wash down into the sand in about 2 weeks. No compost or manure was added as I was told too much nitrogen would be bad news. I placed a 12" strip of landscaping burlap in between the rows and placed leaves on top, but I think I would do better with pine bark mulch maybe?

{{gwi:1037196}}

(From Left to Right) "Supreme Sultan" and "Well Endowed"

{{gwi:1037197}}

(Left to Right again) "Best Bet" and "Rare Treat"

{{gwi:1037199}}

(Lastly, Left to Right) "Dusky Challenger" and "Holy Night"

I have another shipment coming, with another 3 each of the following: "Syncopation," "Schortman's Garnet Ruffles," "Romantic Evening," and "Firebreather." This should fill out a 2nd row.

There is a certain seller on a certain auction site along the bay that is doing an end of season clearance on bearded iris - 3 for 5-7 dollars with extremely reasonable combined shipping.

Sorry if this message was too long! I'm super thrilled and excited and can't wait to share how the iris do! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: My PhotoBucket Album

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

You have some very popular irises there. It should be spectacular in the spring.

I think you are free to mention vendors on G-Web, just not D***'s G****n.

Irises reproduce so rapidly I rarely buy more than one rhizome of a variety, but at the price you got them, why not?
    Renee

• jason83
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Again Renee!
    Hopefully they will reproduce rapidly so I can have tons of extra to share!

Do you think I should swap out the half composted leaves for some type of bark mulch? I just read that leaves can be bad news for bearded irises but they won't be touching the roots or leaves... the leaves actually work better to hold moisture than bark so that is what I have been used to using.

Or is it silly to think that even irises can dry out? :)

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

As long as the leaves are not covering the rhizomes I don't see any problem. You might as well try it without too much mulch or leaves, though, to save labor.

My dad lives on a mountainside where an old streambed was, so his soil is all sand. He grew irises like gangbusters. They multiplied so fast he finally told me to dig them all out and take them away. That's how I got so many.
    Renee

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County