Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Iris is going to bloom NOW?

Posted by hosenemesis SoCal Sunset 19 USDA (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 17, 09 at 23:02

Hi all,

Today as I started to divide some clumps, I glanced over at a new iris that did not bloom this spring. I got it as a gift, it's a noid. It looked funny, but I ignored it.

This evening when I was out putting away the hens, I looked over and it was a bloom stalk! My brain had not registered it the first time. It's wiggly and funny looking, but sho'nuff it's got flowers on it. It looks like it's going to be gold or orangey. What a nice surprise. Do you think it could be a rebloomer, or is it just late?

I'll post photos when the flowers open.
Renee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Iris is going to bloom NOW?

I have a noid that behaves oddly. If it blooms at an off time then it doesn't bloom when it ought (?).

In other words I don't think it can be classed as a reliable rebloomer.

Also bearded rebloomers may take a couple of years to establish their pattern. It is year 2 for Belvi Queen and I'm not seeing a fall stalk yet :-(

o

Ick. It's not worth photographing.
It's a tall, "orange" iris, an older variety. Ugly shape, really ugly color. It's a washed out orange- hard to explain, but rather flesh-toned. Ick again.
Renee

o

Ick. It's not worth photographing.
Now I find that very hard to believe...I'm really curious now how it looks.

I too have one budded for bloom. I planted it kind of late last summer, and then it didn't bloom this spring. It's Royal Summer...deep purple self, yellow beards, and is listed as a rebloomer.

Anyone want to start a thread where we can show off what is reblooming now? If no one beats me to it, I'll get a pic and start it. Low Ho Silver is in full bloom for me now. Last year it bloomed about all of Sept and clear through Oct.

I've also got a NO ID peachy pink budded for bloom. It too did not bloom in the spring. I think I dug into it and disturbed it quite late last year.

Sue

o

Okay, Sue, I'll take a photo of it tomorrow if it has a bloom. It sure looks pathetic next to my Total Recall, though!

Renee

o

There are several 'rebloomer" types. maybe this is one of them?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here