Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idabean2

iris to pick up ninebark color

Marie Tulin
10 years ago

Could you suggest an iris in a copper-red (definitely more to copper end) to echo ninebark foliage?
There are also purple allium in the picture.
Thanks....there are thousands of iris to look at and I'm simply overwhelmed.
The first two I found were Iris 'Caliente' and Red Rooster, but no U.S retail source. Also, photos can be unreliable as to color.
idabean/marie

Comments (7)

• brettttt
    10 years ago

Hi Marie,

I don't grow (and am not personally acquainted with) ninebark, so caveat emptor. But the irises that came to mind were Rustler and Bronzette Star. I've included shots of them below (in that order). Those may be too brown/not red enough, but they're both beautiful, and I know they're available from US sellers.

Now I need to check out ninebark and see whether it grows well where I am!

• brettttt
    10 years ago

Hi Marie,

I don't grow (and am not personally acquainted with) ninebark, so caveat emptor. But the irises that came to mind were Rustler and Bronzette Star. I've included shots of them below (in that order). Those may be too brown/not red enough, but they're both beautiful, and I know they're available from US sellers.

Now I need to check out ninebark and see whether it grows well where I am!

{{!gwi}}

• sherry Austin
    10 years ago

Are you growing any particular variety? I grow Physocarpus 'Diablo' which has near black leaves and stems.. This is going to sound weird... but I actually have 'Spiced Tiger' near mine. The broken color gives a nod to all the different colors in the bark.
    Also check out 'Hot Spice'.. It's a yellow and red IB plicata, but looking at it's picture next to a picture of the Ninebark's bark, it's pretty cool.
    'Competitve Edge' is one of my favorites... This would pick up the purple from the allium too. Standards are more on the brown side.
    Also a couple historics to look at: 'Copper Lustre' and 'Orloff'.

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for these mouthwatering suggestions. I completely forgot the other critical element: amsonia hubrettii "massed" in front of the ninebark. (it is still a little mass right now)
    These golds might look great with a rich purple like allium, but with much paler amsonia, perhaps not.
    I don't remember which ninebark. It is not coppertina or diablo. It is too big to be those. It has gotten rather green over the summer, but it was dark brown with reddish tints much of the season.
    Please do keep the suggestions coming.If I can get the link, there's a beautiful picture from Margaret Roach's blog/website with HL walking stick, amsonia, and a couple of iris.

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

On second thought, bronzette star might work...it is stunning.

Might I suggest you go to "my page" and put your zone in? It is very helpful to others reading your posts. For instance, if I knew your zone, I could probably have saved you the trouble of looking up ninebark hardiness!
    People will know right away whether their knowledge of a plant is relevant to your needs and growing conditions.Saves time and effort.

marie

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

Most of the "red" irises would probably look good. Take a look at Samurai Warrior, Rustler, Rip City, or even Lady Friend, which is a pinkish-watermelon red. It would help if you can give us links to photos of the plants you mentioned. I love red and copper irises- there are so many beautiful ones.

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

Here are a few along the lines of the two you posted.
    War Chief
    Samurai Warrior
    Rio Rojo
    Battle Royale
    Bernice's Legacy (rebloomer)
    Canned Heat
    Winesap (rebloomer)
    Chief Quinaby
    Dynamite
    Honky Tonk Hussy (Border Bearded)

Red irises are my favorites.

Sponsored