Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
iris to pick up ninebark color

Posted by idabean 5A (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 23:28

Could you suggest an iris in a copper-red (definitely more to copper end) to echo ninebark foliage?
There are also purple allium in the picture.
Thanks....there are thousands of iris to look at and I'm simply overwhelmed.
The first two I found were Iris 'Caliente' and Red Rooster, but no U.S retail source. Also, photos can be unreliable as to color.
idabean/marie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: iris to pick up ninebark color

Hi Marie,

I don't grow (and am not personally acquainted with) ninebark, so caveat emptor. But the irises that came to mind were Rustler and Bronzette Star. I've included shots of them below (in that order). Those may be too brown/not red enough, but they're both beautiful, and I know they're available from US sellers.

Now I need to check out ninebark and see whether it grows well where I am!

o

Hi Marie,

I don't grow (and am not personally acquainted with) ninebark, so caveat emptor. But the irises that came to mind were Rustler and Bronzette Star. I've included shots of them below (in that order). Those may be too brown/not red enough, but they're both beautiful, and I know they're available from US sellers.

Now I need to check out ninebark and see whether it grows well where I am!

o

Are you growing any particular variety? I grow Physocarpus 'Diablo' which has near black leaves and stems.. This is going to sound weird... but I actually have 'Spiced Tiger' near mine. The broken color gives a nod to all the different colors in the bark.
Also check out 'Hot Spice'.. It's a yellow and red IB plicata, but looking at it's picture next to a picture of the Ninebark's bark, it's pretty cool.
'Competitve Edge' is one of my favorites... This would pick up the purple from the allium too. Standards are more on the brown side.
Also a couple historics to look at: 'Copper Lustre' and 'Orloff'.

o

Thanks for these mouthwatering suggestions. I completely forgot the other critical element: amsonia hubrettii "massed" in front of the ninebark. (it is still a little mass right now)
These golds might look great with a rich purple like allium, but with much paler amsonia, perhaps not.
I don't remember which ninebark. It is not coppertina or diablo. It is too big to be those. It has gotten rather green over the summer, but it was dark brown with reddish tints much of the season.
Please do keep the suggestions coming.If I can get the link, there's a beautiful picture from Margaret Roach's blog/website with HL walking stick, amsonia, and a couple of iris.

o

On second thought, bronzette star might work...it is stunning.

Might I suggest you go to "my page" and put your zone in? It is very helpful to others reading your posts. For instance, if I knew your zone, I could probably have saved you the trouble of looking up ninebark hardiness!
People will know right away whether their knowledge of a plant is relevant to your needs and growing conditions.Saves time and effort.

marie

o

Most of the "red" irises would probably look good. Take a look at Samurai Warrior, Rustler, Rip City, or even Lady Friend, which is a pinkish-watermelon red. It would help if you can give us links to photos of the plants you mentioned. I love red and copper irises- there are so many beautiful ones.

o

Here are a few along the lines of the two you posted.
War Chief
Samurai Warrior
Rio Rojo
Battle Royale
Bernice's Legacy (rebloomer)
Canned Heat
Winesap (rebloomer)
Chief Quinaby
Dynamite
Honky Tonk Hussy (Border Bearded)

Red irises are my favorites.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here