Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cjcanet

Starting an Iris Club

cjcanet
13 years ago

We don't have an iris club in our area. Someone approached me and said we should get one started in this area. I don't know the first thing about it. I have a list of people that might be intersested, that's it. Any ideas, thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Comments (9)

• chadinlg Zone 9b Los Gatos CA
    13 years ago

I think starting is the "easy" part :). Just a group of friends who get together (maybe at each others house on a rotating basis), share ideas, pool iris orders, swap iris etc.
    As you grow you will want to raise funds (rhizome sales etc.) which will mean setting up a bank account and obtaining official non-profit tax status unless you keep things on the down low.
    Then you may need a "permanent" meeting place (low rent or free)
    If you want to hold an Iris show, you may need insurance - Which AIS can provide under an umbrella policy, so that means you need to be an AIS affiliate (I think...)
    And then you may also want to have bylaws, etc....
    But don't worry about all that at the start... Concentrate on the "fun" part.
    If you want more specifics about what a club may do I can give more details about how the Clara B. Rees Iris Society (Los Gatos CA) operates as I am a current member...

• cjcanet
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the help :) What kind of places let you meet for free? Someone said a resturant will sometimes if you order pie or something.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

cjcanet, if you have a face book account you can talk to people from the AIS. They'll help you out. I just joined my local society, and they are pretty organized, with garden treks each year, shows, sales, talks, all kinds of groovy stuff.
    Renee

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    13 years ago

Possibly a local library would have a meeting room free to a small gardening group.

The Daffodil Society I belong to meets at a meeting room in a nice big city park. In exchange for the use of the room, the society agrees to plant and maintain some daffodil beds as well as hold a Daffodil Show there each spring.

Other gardening clubs hold their meetings there too (Iris, Daylily, possibly others) in exchange for 'X' number of hours of work on the beds at the park.

Several of the clubs also hold their annual sales there too.

Sue

• andinsky
    13 years ago

I'm not sure where you are located, but check the American Iris Society's website (link below). The AIS is divided into regions. Find your region and make sure there isn't an iris club in your area, or nearby. Finding an iris club already active would make it much easier for you:

http://irises.org/ais600localiris.htm

You can also find the RVP (regional vice pres) in the list above, he/she can provide you with more personal advice.

You may also want to visit an established club, for feedback and ideas.

If you're on Facebook, visit our club, the San Fernando Valley Iris Society:

http://www.facebook.com/sanfernandovalley.irissociety

There you can share your iris pictures, and/or ask any questions you'd like.

Happy Gardening.

Andi

Here is a link that might be useful: Iris Lover

• cjcanet
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I like the library idea Sue :) Hadn't thought of that. I'm not on the facebook band wagon yet, call me old fashioned or maybe just paranoid ;)
    We are part of Region 15 and there is no club around here, that would be to simple. Andi thanks for the info on the RVP & I loved your photos.

Cathy

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

Andinsky ~ gorgeous pictures and loved being able to enlarge. Need Violet Fusion!

Our closest AIS chapter is 200 miles. Unfortunately we couldn't get someone to commit to chairman. Strange.
    And our few numbers (12) were scattered over 35 miles. I think if we had the foresite to plan only 3 meetings
    the first year it may have caught.

• andinsky
    13 years ago

Cathy,

We're in the same Region of the American Iris Society, Region 15. How close is the closest iris club for you? Monthly meetings are usually only once a month.

In this age of the Internet, you could become a member of a club that is not that close, and still benefit by attending meetings only once a month or every other month. You can also get others in your area to become members and carpool to wherever the meeting is.

Good luck!

Andi

• cjcanet
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well Andi, it's about and hour and a half to the nearest club. I know I don't want to go that far. Iris gal, I like the idea of only having 3 meetings a year to start. Even a couple more wouldn't be too bad. That's part of my personal problem, I don't want to be in charge and have to plan a meeting ever month. I already have other commitments that I am in charge of on a regular basis. I guess I just need to "do it" and see what other people think. Oh the power of procrastination! :)
    Cathy

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH