Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rodcorodco

Replant divided iris now or in Spring?

rodco
10 years ago

I dug out all my Iris, since they were about 5 years old and over crowded. I washed them off..cut off only the good parts (threw away the old parts and rotted pieces). They are now drying on the deck. Should I plant them now or wait until Spring?
I plan on selling most of them at my local farm market, because I have over 500.

Comments (5)

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

Now is better, as long as they will have enough time to set down roots. When is your first hard freeze? They are supposed to go in 6 weeks earlier than the first freeze. Good luck at the farmer's market.

• oregonwoodsmoke
    10 years ago

I know they can be pretty dry when you buy the bagged ones, but I don't allow my iris rhizomes to dry out when I dig them.

Separate them, trim them, either replant them or heel them in. The fussier you are about how they are handled, the quicker they will bloom.

I don't throw out the mother plant, either. She might not bloom again, but she will send out more pups if you replant her.

• flowerlass
    10 years ago

Hi all,
    I have a large 5 yr old Siberian Iris clump that is opening up in the center. It's too late to dig it out to separate it this year but I'm not sure whether it is better to separate it in the spring or fall. Also, it gets very few flowers (5 or 6)considering the size of the clump. It is situated on a hill facing west it does get some sun relief from the late afternoon shading of a Japanese maple. I would love to make my plant happier to flower any suggestions?

• aseedisapromise
    10 years ago

Hi there,

You would be more likely to get a good response if you have posted in your own new thread.

Here is something I copied from a Univ of Minn extension flyer on irises:

Division

There are two opportunities for dividing Siberian Iris. To insure flowering it is best to divide in early spring as new growth just appears. Waiting until the new growth has started may stress out the plants and prevent them from flowering that season. Dig up the clump and cut through the thick root system, keeping at least six growing points with adequate roots in each clump. Keep these sections moist, plant immediately, and then water in thoroughly. In late summer or early fall it is possible to cut back the foliage to about six inches, then dig and divide the plant as before. Replant, water in, and mulch well for winter survival. Siberian iris donâÂÂt require division as often as bearded iris to perform at their best; their tough crown often requires a strong arm to cut them apart.

Good luck!

• kittyl
    10 years ago

Bearded irises need about 6 weeks to establish good roots, so the sooner you can do before Winter, the more likely they'll bloom in the Spring.
    If you have hard freezes right now, maybe not a good idea to put back in the ground.
    I'm in Northern Calif., and even though I have some freezing, I just dug a bed last week and replanted, to get rid of bad grass weeds. Mine will do just fine in terms of survival.

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County