Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosenemesis

I now have over 50 irises

hosenemesis
13 years ago

What happened?

I think they somehow got away from me. I thought I had about 20 or so, but I just counted, and there are 51, maybe more. I have only seen 18 of them bloom, so next year might be pretty fun.

I can't wait to post the photos. I won't have clump shots, since it appears that they are mostly new this year, but I'll try to get overall garden shots so you can judge which ones would look good in a garden setting.

Renee

Comments (12)

• madeyna
    13 years ago

Funny how the numbers add up isn,t it;) I lost more than half of mine do to root rot in our never ending rainy season and that stopped me from buying more this year. I opted to put in a 130 by 20 foot bed on a steeper slop hoping for better drainage for next year so I can safely feed my iris obsession without as much rot issues. Shrieners is going to love me this spring.

• chadinlg Zone 9b Los Gatos CA
    13 years ago

Seeing new iris bloom for the first time seems to be my favorite thing. I suppose that's one reason I started making crosses...
    Join a local Iris club and then you'll find it hard to keep your count below 100...

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I did, chadinlg, I did.
    Renee

• aggiegrad
    13 years ago

hey renee, I decided to move my iris this fall. I had no idea that I had so many! I've planted quite a few, but, it hasn't made a dent in my wheelbarrow full of iris. & that's not counting in the mother rhyzomes that need to be re~planted too. plus, I've been buying clearance plants too. so, I have a lot of planting to get done before november. I hope I can get it all done. it's not easy when it gets dark so early now. I wish I had someone to help me, but, I'm pretty much on my own. any suggestions on a quick way to do all this?

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That'll teach you, aggiegrad.

Last year I ended up with several wheelbarrows full of irises I never got around to planting. That's why I joined my local iris society this year- so I could relieve the guilt I feel whenever I look at the mounds of shrivelling rhizomes- I donate them to the iris sale!

Renee

• gardenspuds
    13 years ago

I was thinking about starting a thread about my addiction, guess I have a long way to go with "only" 28! Do you all with 50+ grow anything else, or have you ripped out other plants to accomodate the iris?

I started with 12 in 2008, none bloomed last year, but this year, wow! The yard has clay soil and our backyard is in shade all winter, but they survived, no rot, good rhizome growth and good bloom this year. So I ordered 16 more! I am in the final stages of digging everything up and adding more compost and reorganiing the rhizomes, enjoying it all the way!

My problem is space- Not sure I can fit many more, but may be tucking some here and there next year. Does anyone in a non-freeze area grow iris in pots?

I used to be a rose addict, but alas, we moved 3 years ago to an area where deer devour the roses, even planted in pots on my deck. But they haven't touched the iris! YIPEE!!!!

Barbara

• jeanrichter
    13 years ago

I live in the bay area also, and grow many iris in pots with good success.

Here are some tips for growing iris in pots:

Use potting soil rather than garden dirt (to prevent rot).
    Water and fertilize more often than iris in the ground, as potted iris dry out more quickly and have less access to nutrients.
    They'll need dividing more frequently than iris in the ground also - make sure to use pots with enough space for a couple years of increase unless you want to re-pot them every year.

Growing iris in pots is a good solution for folks with limited space, or mobility issues.

Happy gardening,

Jean

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Have I ripped out other plants? Hmmm, well, the irises have established their hegemony in the flower beds, colonized the raised vegetable beds, and caused the orchard to be reduced by three trees. They have recently moved into the front bed under the windows, displacing some carex, and they are now threatening to take over the shady areas in the yard just out of sheer spite. Mike's lawn is really just empty space...

• aggiegrad
    13 years ago

well yes & no to ripping out other plants for my iris. what I did is trade my roses & my iris around. so, now my roses are in the area that the iris were in, & my iris are going on the hill that the roses were on. I'm still working on getting the iris in the ground, but my pile is getting smaller. I do have a pile of baby size ones too. should I plant them or let them go? anyone know for sure?

• chadinlg Zone 9b Los Gatos CA
    13 years ago

If you have ALL the iris labeled, then skip the small ones as they will not bloom next year... however...

One thing to consider, when a mixed iris bed is dug and there are different varieties mixed together, it's a good idea to plant at least some of the small rhizomes, to keep an even mix of colors. If you only plant the largest rhizomes each time then only the most vigorous plants will remain and some colors will disappear over time.

• aggiegrad
    13 years ago

nope, I don't bother with labels. I like the mystery better. I did manage to get most of them in, except for the ones that I gave away. I gave a huge box full to the greenhouse next door. I'm going over tomorrow to see if they need help planting them. it's supposed to be near 60 tomorrow. I planted all the mothers in the back yard, we'll see next year if any decide to put babys on. I did plant a lot of baby ones, but the tiny ones got thrown over the fence across the street. that's where my compost is. it's just a vacant area between me & the highway above my home. anyway, all my yard work is done for this year, so hurry up spring! I want to see something new bloom.

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Can't wait to see the results, Aggiegrad!
    Renee

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?