Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
damaged rhysomes

Posted by dmparmelee Yates Co, NY Zone 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 13, 09 at 7:15

I rescued some old iris at a grape farm that had been sprayed with grape chemicals 4 years ago. One cluster has bloomed 3 times but every bloom is deformed in a different way. Another cluster bloomed this year, and appears to be the same one, but not damaged. Question: would the chemicals permanently alter the blooms or should I just dispose of that cluster. They are all noids, and the reproduced ones are also damaged, so far. How long to wait to repair?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: damaged rhysomes

I assume the cluster which has bloomed 3 times has done so over a period of 3 years. Unless you like the look, dump it. Round Up damage is for 1 year only (maybe less on rebloomers?)

I've not heard of a pest spray that attacks plant genes. Garden Clinic aka Pests & Diseases may be of help.

There is the possibility of it being another iris. A bee pod volunteer at the original location? With mutant genes :-)

o

Yes for 3 years. I think it would have been a fungicide, or like treatment, rather than weed or bug killer. Each one is different even on the same stem, so guess I'll keep them as a conversation starter.
Thank You
Diana

o

Some people spray their iris regularly with fungicide for iris leaf spot without any distortion of bloom.

I've seen photos of very strange looking seedlings before they were tossed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here