Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
georgia_teacher

Your favorite 'red' iris

georgia_teacher
14 years ago

I know that finding a true red iris is like going on a snipe hunt, but I wondered what your favorite red is, and in your experience, what comes closest? I have been looking. There are no iris farms(that I have seen; I'd love to know of them if you do) close by to take a tour, and I am seeing that pictures just do not do much justice to the flowers. I have been looking on Dave's Garden, some of your websites, other growers' sites and print catalogs, and sometimes it is like looking at two (or three, or four...) different flowers. I don't necessarily want a list of every iris that approximates red, but in your own opinions and experiences, what is the closest thing to a true red in the iris?

I am in SE Georgia, very close to the Florida line.

Comments (14)

• madeyna
    14 years ago

Whethersfield Red is the only one I have seen in person that is what I consider a red red. I don,t care for the brick reds I have seen at the iris farms.

• georgia_teacher
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think you mentioned that one. I will keep it in mind for next season. I made the mistake this year of thinking that, just because I could plant later than in most places, growers would still have stock come August. :( I saw the picture on the Blue J site, but it looks really rosy on there. Of course, they have three pictures of it, and each one looks a bit different. I think the difficulty of judging color from pictures has been discussed ad nauseum, but it is such a problem.

• madeyna
    14 years ago

I,m with you on the picture thing. I have been really stunned at how different the colors are in person on some of the iris I have purchased or planed to purchase then saw in person. Reds and blues seem to be the worst colors for that. I have seen some really cheap reds that look brick in the big box stores it might not hurt to pick a few up and try them if you happen to find them also. If you remind me after bloom season next spring I should know which ones are my reds and can send you one. My new puppy removed some of my tags so I can only hazard a vague guess at this point what is what in that bed.

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

My Rip City iris is beautiful, but it is a faded, brickish red, not a bright red. Have you tried a search for best red iris?

It's not a color I seek in irises because of that problem.
    Renee

• georgia_teacher
    Original Author
    14 years ago

In doing a search with (sort of) those terms, the reddest irises I get are Louisiana irises. I think one was called Professor Neil, and one was Ann Chowning. The PN looks a little rosier in some pictures than the Ann Chowning though. I would assume that these would not do well in a bed with TB irises, correct?

Here is a link that might be useful: Professor Neil @ DG

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

Naw, you gotta put those in a swamp.

I can't wait to hear about all of your red irises this spring. It's going to be quite a show. You will be sure to tell us which is the reddest, won't you?

Renee

• georgia_teacher
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hose, I planted War Chief, Almaden and Caldron for next spring. I also planted Ecstactic Echo. For next year, I think I am going to add Dynamite, Red Hawk and Vitafire. Carlos also suggested Repartee and said that it is more dependable than EE, so I may swap them out.

Overall, I wound up with WC, Almaden, Caldron, EE, Midnight Oil, Ebony Angel, Diamond Lil, Lo Ho Silver, Mesmerizer and Immortality. I will post pics and give you my ideas about the reds, assuming they all decide to bloom this year! :()

• carlos42180
    14 years ago

You must get SWAZI PRINCESS for a nice "black" iris.

Carlos

SWAZI PRINCESS
    {{gwi:1037532}}

• georgia_teacher
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Carlos, I looked at this one at Shreiner's, but I waited too long; and they were gone. I will be sure to jump on it earlier next year. I do appreciate all the help and valuable suggestions. At this rate, I may wind up digging up my yard for irises. :)

• nallie
    14 years ago

Captian Galent is my favorite red usually reds have blackish or purple tone galent has a orage tone so the iris is red

• georgia_teacher
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ooo, Nallie. That is a nice-looking one. Thanks.

• nzirishunter
    14 years ago

Lady Friend is a reliable bloomer and a consistent performer and should be available from suppliers for a reasonable price.A good iris for mass effect
    Start of Tall Bearded Blooming is about two weeks away in New Zealand

Here is a link that might be useful: LADY FRIEND

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

I love Ecstatic Echo. It's a pretty flower. It was one of the first irises I ever bought (as opposed to getting pass-a-longs).

• linlily
    14 years ago

Glad you brought up Lady Friend, nzirishunter. I got it from a friend this year and hope to have blooms next spring. I love the color of this one.

Linda

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living