Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Iris that like wet feet

Posted by Lizey66 none (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 9:23

Does anyone have experience with certain Irises that will grow with very wet feet???

I'm new here and was prompted to join after a horrid day of digging in my horrid back yard, a former 19th century dump for those who once lived here. Other than an antique tea pot, I've found coal ashes and hard compacted soil. AND one corner that pools water where the table is high-BUT I think there are plants that might be able to take it. Yes?

Irises? I know Siberian aren't suppose to be in water and I don't want to plant those big invasive yellow ones.

Any other suggestions?
Please email me. It's easier than accessing the forum when you're busy in the mud!
Thanks for the help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Iris that like wet feet

There was a very nice article on "water iris" published by Horticulture magazine sometime back that is a good resource. It is important to take the subject of 'water iris' with a grain of salt - most iris do not tolerate standing water year round but some are happy in very moist or boggy conditions on a seasonal basis.

Here is a link that might be useful: water iris

o

Lizey,

Your former 19th century dump can be beautiful with your back-breaking work.

But need to know what zone you are to be able to recommend plants.

Louisianas are mentioned in the excellent article linked above. Again don't know if they will survive winter in your zone.

o

Thanks for the article tip. I'm in Maine. The hope I have for VERY wet feet is having seen them growing IN water on the edges of islands here in mid coast Maine. It seems amazing that they are on the edge of SALT water, with feet in fresh. And thanks for the confidence that this nightmare spot could ever be friable. The big enemy is deep toxic sections of ancient burnt coal, grey and horrid. I was going to dig it out but it's too pervasive, so no food growing there. BUT it is one of the only spots to garden on this piece of property so I'll continue to plow forward making spots for certain flower seeds in spring AND iris! Will keep you posted as to whether they make it or not, once I dig some from an island or buy some.

o

I believe Japanese irises can grow in marshy conditions. I don't know if they overwinter in Maine, though. You may want to check out the websites for the Japanese and Louisiana Iris societies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese Iris Society

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here