Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best of the Best

Posted by irisawe 5b (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 3, 08 at 10:01

At the beginning of iris season I asked forum readers to give opinions from experience I hadn't yet had for myself as to what iris they considered their best. Especially, if they had to pare things down to 10 due to space limitations. I am not going that extreme for real but needed that type of info.

I have had to seriously consider reducing beds in order to even be able to handle the maintenance and have, after finally seeing many in bloom that I had never seen in bloom before, been able to get a list of the top 10 for that amazingly satisfying eye appeal. Most of these I got to see for the first time. Here are the top 10 performers of about 200 different ones, the definate "keepers": Dusky Challenger, Temple of Time, Princess Caroline De Monaco, Sweetly Sung, Treasured, Romantic Evening,Gypsy Lord, Laced Cotton, Louisa's Song, Fatal Attraction.

There are many others that are gorgeous, but these were over the top for me.

Anyone else care to list which ones they were amazed at this year?

Irisawe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best of the Best

After growing just a few NOID irises for years, I finally purchased and traded for some named ones. This season was the first time for many of them to bloom.

I found I really preferred the darker, more vivid, ruffled ones, but was a bit disappointed when so many of the blooms were so heavy that they flopped. Nest season I will be staking some for sure.

I really liked Night Stalker which was very well behaved for me....besides being pretty.

Sue

o

irisawe, those are some beauties. What they have in common is the large falls and they are taller iris. You may also like Amber Essence, Yaquina Blue, Haute Les Voiles, Italian Velvet, Coffee Trader, Dangerous Mood, Decadence, Fabuleux.

o

If you are just getting started, how about these proven winners that are bargained priced? I don't know about your climate, but these thrive in my hot, humid, damp climate.

Poem of Ecstasy, Dusky Challenger, Keeping Up Appearances, Valentine's Day, Arctic Fox, Bel Esprit, Broken Dreams (on the cover of this issue of the American Iris Society Bulletin---a great unsung peach pink that is a super strong grower and bloomer I wouldn't be without),Fogbound, Leana (probably the best plic of recent vintage but horribly overlooked), and Pixie Dust. Every one of these has never rotted and never failed to bloom.

o

Epicenter, Tom Johnson, and Golden Panther are consistently great here. You should be able to find all of them at a good price.

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here