Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aquawise

setting in?

aquawise
13 years ago

How are your new Iris and Iris beds settling in? My August moves are doing great, Lots of new growth. Everything seems to love there new home. There are The Iris as the main plants, then there are Asiatic lilies and Daylilies as Companion plants. Gonna be SOooooo Awesome come spring.

Comments (6)

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

I can't wait to see.
    A few of mine are at risk from rot, since we got a heatwave and all of the other plants have to be watered. I have reblooms on Feedback, Total Recall, Frequent Flyer, and New Leaf, but the 104 degrees yesterday kind of shrivelled them up. I see some new fans developing on some of my new irises, though. I still have to plant Bayberry Candle. I want it in a front yard bed which is currently occupied by weeds and zoysia, and I just have not had the energy to get out there in this heat and clear it out.

I also did something I always swore I would never do: I made an "iris bed." Yup, rows of little irises. I had an empty raised bed in the veggie garden because of root knot nematodes. I had all of these freebies from friends and iris growers that I really did not want, so in they went. Voila'! Instant military uniformity in a cottage style garden.
    Renee

• chadinlg Zone 9b Los Gatos CA
    13 years ago

It's just the next phase of the Iris obsession...
    At first you assume they can share the garden with the other plants, and that's OK except they really don't care for the competition and bloom suffers as a result... plus there are so many new ones you want to have...

Many years later I have a long strip of Iris 'garden' behind a long strip of mixed border... It's really the most practical way...

Chad

• irisawe
    13 years ago

I got most of my iris in July. Planted them in pots and kept them in the air conditioned house in front of windows. They all rooted well and were planted outside a couple of weeks ago when the highest temps(high 90's and 100's) broke. They are doing great outside with babies coming on like crazy. Some babies were obvious before I planted them outside. I am more than pleased with their progress. Think I will handle it like this in the future.

Irisawe

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Very smart, Irisawe.

Chad, I beg you to stop foretelling my future. Every thing you have predicted for me is coming true! I'll have to stop reading your posts once you say you see me taking pollen from one flower and dabbing it on another...
    Renee

• chadinlg Zone 9b Los Gatos CA
    13 years ago

Sorry Renee, it's just your fate...

The cheapest way to 'feed' the addiction is to create your own new iris...

• aquawise
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OMG!! I went out to have a good look see at my new Iris bed. The plants I got from Schriners already have new little plants growing from them. They have only been in the ground 15 days. I am very pleased with that. They were the last to go in. A month before I planted the collection I got from Brecks, They did Ok, just getting new shoots. SO!! that would be 6 weeks. Spring at the Schmidt house is going to be BEAUTIFUL!! LOL!!

Sponsored
Stanford Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia