Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to move Iris

Posted by gardenlady76 TX coast/9 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 15, 11 at 10:44

I have never grown Iris before, so I really do not know anything about them. They were planted last fall (2010) and bloomed this spring (2011). I have not touched them except to trim the leaves just a little. Now I would like to put them in a different bed. When can I dig them up and replant? Any and all info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to move Iris

If you are going to do it this year do it now.

o

You can do it right now as aquawise says or next year after bloom is over.

o

I've been replanting Iris since late July. The earliest ones are growing nicely and the later ones are peaking out of the ground. I'm expecting nice blooms next spring. Don't think it's too late to replant now because iris like/need freezing temps to grow.

o

Jas, not all irises like freezing temps, only certain ones. Tall bearded irises grow exceptionally well in California and Arizona without any freeze at all. Dwarf irises do not bloom without a cold spell, though.
Renee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here