Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
auron22

Good rebloomers to pair with "immortality"?

auron22
10 years ago

Spent a while looking on the internet and at nurseries. I'm looking for a solid, pastel colored rebloomer to pair with immortality. After reading on here time/amount of rebloom seems to vary on climate. I would prefer light blue, I was looking at "cloud ballet"...but unsure if picture is true or not. Can color depend on temp/soil? And does it even rebloom reliably? Some nurseries do not even say it reblooms. Fragrant is a plus, but I can do without.

If I can't find a nice pastel to pair it with, maybe a bolder color? If bolder, preferably a near solid, warm color....or near black irises.

I'm not familiar with iris terminology, hope my descriptions are clear...I do have a potted iris "before the storm", it is a glossy, almost black iris. I think it would pair fairly well with an all white, but it is only once blooming and if I can help it I will plant that elsewhere so when it is done blooming surrounding plants will hide the browning foliage. I might just cave in and get cloud ballet just to see how well it turns out.

Any input is appreciated :)

Comments (6)

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

Here's an excellent reblooming link Hosenemesis found.

njiris (link) used to be active on this forum and is very knowledgeable.

'Clarence' is isn't my favorite-looking iris, color-wise. He's very photogenic and reliable with rebloom. But not a self (solid) -- white standards with blue-lav falls and a white spot around the beard.

Hopefully someone in your zone will post one you like.

Some colors will be affected by climate. With cold winters some iris colors look richer. Some not! From what I've observed soil plays less of a role in color but will affect general health (natch.) and therefore increases. But keep in mind vigor is determined by their genes. There are the wimpys in the iris crowd.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.njiris.com/

• auron22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thx for reply iris_gal :)

Great link, I scrolled through much of it, went through fall rebloom lists a couple times. I've become HIGHLY interested in "unbelievable love". It's not the blue I was on the hunt for, but a very nice purple color. On the website it was listed as most reliable in fall 2010. Unfortunately most other irises I could not find much information on outside the website.

Others I saw and am considering (all blue-ish);
    'renascent'
    'bubbling waves' (really liking the frills)
    'blue Kentucky girl'
    'gate of heaven'

Might even try Jennifer Rebecca, I've seen that mentioned on the web many times as a lovely iris and I do like the color.

Orange harvest also looked really nice. I like the idea of orange/white irises together. I think I've seen that mentioned at a couple places as a recommended iris.
    Am I to assume all the irises listed on that website are reliable rebloomers for new jersey? If so, i'll just pick one and hope for the best.

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

Yes, Auron, the guy over on that website is a fan of rebloomers, so I assume all of them rebloom for him.

Here's a problem I have: not all rebloomers choose the same time to rebloom! Some only rebloom once, and it is late in the season here- November or early December. Others rebloom several times a year, like Total Recall and Mariposa Autumn, but not necessarily at the same time.

I think any iris with some white would look good with your Immortality- Clarence, Unbelievable Love, Mariposa Autumn all come to mind.

• auron22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hosenemesis,
    Thank you. Mariposa autumn seems to be the more highly regarded reblooming iris. Clarence seems to have mixed thoughts.

That is also a concern of mine, rebloomers blooming at different times. If it happens, as long as the initial bloom of both iris' is within a reasonable time frame, i'll be fine with reblooms not syncing. If they don't rebloom same time, at least blooming time will be extended.

I think my list of possibilities has been reduced enough. Total recall
    Unbelievable love
    Clarence
    Now I just need to find one and see how it turns out.

Thanks everyone :)

• auron22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

While i'm at it, any tips anyone would like to share on how to care for bearded iris?

I was thinking a fresh layer of compost annually, fertilize at first sign of new growth and a couple weeks after initial bloom to encourage rebloom. probably a fertilizer lower on nitrogen than potassium and phosphate. 3-5-5 ratio?
    Does that sounds ok?

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

I don't fertilize, mostly because I'm cheap and lazy. Your idea sounds good to me. Some people are careful not to put compost over the rhizomes because they say it causes bacterial rot. I find that it doesn't matter one way or another- my irises rot when it gets into the triple digit heat here because I overhead water twice a week for my other plants.

Maybe someone else will have something to say about fertilizer.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH