Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redsun9

Lost Most Beard Iris Rhizomes this Year

I have two beds of tall beard iris. They are mature beds and crowded with rhizomes. They are over-due for digging and dividing.

But this spring, they did not come up much and did not bloom. The iris borers got them.

Since BIs are so relatively trouble free, I've not paid much attention over the past ten years. Never any problems. I believe I saw some sawdust type substance last year and that could be iris borers. Over the winter, I did not rake the mulch and leaves.

Anyhow, I just dug out the remaining iris rhizomes from the beds. Whatever remains are the very young shoots from the damaged rhizomes. Most of the rhizome roots are gone. I cut away the rotten part, soak the rhizomes in bleach. I've planted most of them and will replant the rest.

This spring, I think the borers may come back and I plan to spray. I believe after the rhizomes grow stronger and I clean the beds regularly, I may not need to spray next year. For about nine years, the BIs did very well.

The new plants may not bloom well, but they should be able to catch up very quickly.

Comments (12)

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

Those borers sound like a nightmare. This article helped me understand why it's so hard to be rid of them.

Here is a link that might be useful: borers' life cycle

• Nancy
    9 years ago

I'm so sorry you've had this problem. I feel very fortunate that I've never had iris borers (knock on wood!). I do try to clean up my iris beds in late fall & early spring, but as many iris as I have, I would have a problem. I hope your iris recover quickly.

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just replanted, actually in larger beds. It is just that the plans are smaller and some won't bloom next year. I even gave away some to friends.

I think I could have saved more rhizomes had I dug them in spring or early summer. But I would not have new beds for the roots.

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Do you folks know if the Iris borers are the same buggers as the pumpkin vine borers? I also lost most of my kabocha pumpkins due to the vine borers. Regular haloween pumpkins did ok even with the borer damage.

• drmbear Cherry
    9 years ago

Not the same critter!

• RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Both are gross fat buggers.

I only saw one iris borer after I dug. Most of them already escaped.

I killed a lot of the pumpkin vine borers. Helped a little, but not enough.

I figure the same chemical, Merit, can be used on the vine borers too?

• drmbear Cherry
    9 years ago

If you use Merit for squash vine borers, realize that it will be in the squash you want to eat as well. It is a systemmic pesticide that gets into the plant tissue - that is why it is so harmful to bees. Most of the systemmics have warnings for you not to apply it around food crops, but it seems just as harmful to apply it around flowers, since they are visited by things we want in the yard. I grow daylillies in areas close to where I grow iris, and it is not unusual for me to pick daylilly blossoms to eat in the yard or add to a salad. If I use a systemmic to eliminate iris borers, there is a possibility it could get into my daylillies. I also have some fruit trees in areas where I have some iris growing - I'm not really interested in getting that stuff into my fruit trees - something that could be devastating to bees and to me. Like I said, the nematodes work just as well or better, and it seems at a similar price point, so why choose something so harmful. And please do not use Merit on things you want to eat. Check out this list of facts about Merit:

http://www.flora.org/healthyottawa/merit-pesticide-insecticide-grub.htm

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

where can I buy these nematodes, drmbear? I also have problems with borers and rose midges.

• drmbear Cherry
    9 years ago

Just search "Beneficial nematodes iris borer" and look for some good sources. Some of the articles about how this works provide sources as well. I'm buying along about April.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    9 years ago

Where are you managing to get affordable nematodes? I've looked into them for years, but by the time they get here, the price is going to be well over $50. The killer is shipping, since they have to be sent overnight. And it certainly doesn't help that all the sources are on the West Coast.

• drmbear Cherry
    9 years ago

Arbico Organics seems to have reasonable prices - the shipping for Garden size to VA is a little better than $16.

http://www.arbico-organics.com/

SIZES & COVERAGE RATES
    1/2 Garden Size: $16.00
    5 million Nematodes -
    Treats approx. 1,600 sq. ft.
    Garden Size: $29.95
    10 million Nematodes -
    Treats approx. 3,200 sq. ft.
    Farm Size: $68.75
    50 million Nematodes -
    Treats approx. 1 acre
    Small Ranch Size: $198.00
    250 million Nematodes -
    Treats approx. 5 acres
    Large Ranch Size: $379.00
    500 million Nematodes -
    Treats approx. 10 acres
    Grow Organics seems a little higher:

http://www.groworganic.com/

They are also for sale on Amazon and eBay.

I also found:

http://thebeneficialinsectco.com/

http://www.gardensalive.com/ has reasonable prices and shipping at about $10.

http://www.gardeners.com/ has reasonable prices, though they seem to be out right about now (okay since I don't want any until April).

Close to when I am ready to buy in April, I will build a simple spreadsheet to compare prices, quantities, shipping, etc., making sure I am getting the correct recommended types, Steinernema carpocapsae and Heterorhabditis bacteriophora, and find the right deal. I had been growing iris for almost 30 years without a single borer problem until the last year or so, so I am thinking with some good management and cleanup/trimming in the fall, and a treatment at the critical time with nematodes I should be okay for a few years, particularly since I dig and divide about every three years - another opportunity to treat.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner