Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karenh71867

Some of my mystery Iris

karenh71867
12 years ago

Thanks for looking! Any help with id's would be greatly appreciated!

Karen

Comments (10)

• svanessa
    12 years ago

Is the 4th one possibly Honorabile?

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Honorabile

• aquawise
    12 years ago

#5 into the blue
    #4 honorabile
    #3 interpole~ pallida
    #2 Helios
    sill working on #1

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

I don't think #2 is Helios. Helios has light brown-red streaks on the falls, and the standards are solid yellow. This one has very pale standards. But I'm no expert, so take it with a grain of salt.

Aquawise, what is iris interpol~pallida? I am very curious, because I have an iris almost identical to this one, and I have never found an id. I can't find any interpol-pallida photos. Do you have one?

Renee

Here is a link that might be useful: AIS article on Honorabile

• aquawise
    12 years ago

I could have mess up the first part of the name, was late when I posted it. I will keep trying to help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Iris

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Thanks! I have always wanted to ID my grandpa's iris, but kalena's is the first photo I have ever seen of one like it. Wouldn't you know it's another NOID!

Renee

• iris_gal
    12 years ago

Your little yellow and 'red' veined one does look like 'Honorabile'. 'Sans Souci' (1894) is a look-alike for 'Honorabile'.

Download all the photos you can find of 'Electrabrite' and compare them to your pink when it blooms this spring. (Blue J Iris has photos of this one ~ albeit saturated)

The "blue" with a light beard (yellow in the throat ?) has several look-alikes. The first one I thought of was 'Shipshape'. How long have you had it? The pictures I've seen of 'Into The Blue' display more fall ruffling than this pic of yours. To id any iris I would take a pic of the same bloom every day it is open, with the image screen. That way we can see how the standards behave and you can see if the camera is capturing the color accurately, if not get a friend's camera of a different brand.
    Some other "blues" with light beards (pre-2000 with fewer ruffles) to consider are:

After The Storm (innerst'92)
    Avalon Bay (hamner'74)
    Babbling Brook - Dykes Medal'72
    Blue Anew - hager'90 (might be a rebloomer)
    Blue Aristocrat (schreiners'87)
    Busy Being Blue (denney'89)

Ran out of steam on the blue self but there are more out there. It's a difficult one. Good luck.

• happytomato2008
    12 years ago

Hi Karen... V. pretty Iris!! How about doing some trading next year? I like your trade list and have some you may want. Contact me. Judy

• karenh71867
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I feel bad! I should have checked in sooner. I haven't looked up any of the suggestions yet, but I know I had wondered if #4 was 'Honorabile', but will also check 'Sans Souci'. I received all of the Irises (except the 1st one) in a No Name Iris Swap. I love them all, and will still
    be happy if I can't ID them, but that curiosity gets me every time!

This was these Irises first bloom. I planted them in 2010. Maybe next year I will have a better photo to compare with.

The first Iris was supposed to be Red At Night, this is it's 2nd yr bloom.

Thank you all for the help! I will check out the suggestions.

Judy, If you don't hear from me next year, please send me an email! I would love to trade!

• mizellie
    12 years ago

I was just nosing around and came across this post. I know it's an old one but I think your 4th one down looks like " Hold That Tiger" I was wrong one time though. You'll find me on the daylily forum most of the time...Ellie

• wieslaw59
    12 years ago

The blue one is definitely not Shipshape.

Sponsored