Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crimson King?

Posted by tabarhodes 5, NM (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 21, 09 at 12:27

I've had this iris for several years now and this year I moved some of them to my backyard. They surprised me by reblooming! (Only the ones I moved to the backyard.)
Through looking at pictures online I thought it might be Crimson King, fits the description, but it's so hard to get a good picture depicting the reddish purple color! They are only about 26"-28" and very fragrant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crimson King?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crimson King?

Greetings,

The 1939 Checklist does not list Crimson King as a reblooming variety, but remontancy was not something that was accurately sought, and was more of a novelty until later on.

Crimson King is an Intermediate Bearded Iris, so it should bloom earlier than your Tall Beardeds. Your height analysis seems correct. I'm not sure if what you have is definitely Crimson King, due to the angle the photograph was taken. It should have the long, droopy falls.

Sincerely,
Carlos
Brighton Park Iris
http://www.brightonparkiris.com/

o

Thank you Carlos. You are right of course about the angle of the photograph. I didn't notice it until you pointed it out. The falls are definitely long and droopy, to me they look to have the exact proportions of the iris in your second photograph. In fact, in my opinion, the iris in your second photo looks exactly like mine.

o

looks like my Crimson King, which is the first iris to bloom, sometimes in late February, & it's also the last to bloom in May.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here