Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
georgia_teacher

Help with ID

georgia_teacher
14 years ago

OK, so I know this is a no no, but given my history with killing plants and the fact that I want the reddest iris I can find so I'll be experimenting, I bought some irises on Ebay. I went with several that I have seen elsewhere (War Chief, Almaden), but I also bought three rhizomes of a variety that was listed as "Caldron." I can't seem to find that variety listed anywhere else (Dave's Garden, Schreiner's, Blue J, general Google search, so I am assuming that this is not the correct name. I have attached the link to the Ebay auction. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ebay listing for

Comments (9)

• georgia_teacher
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK, never mind regarding the ID. Not sure what I did before, but I found it on Dave's this time. There were no experiences listed, so if anyone has grown this variety, I'd love to hear what you know from firsthand experience.

• denise_z7
    14 years ago

With who you bought it from WHO KNOWS, as she takes and names iris anything she wants...calls them rebloomers when they are not...

Good luck,

D

• georgia_teacher
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Not encouraging, but OK...do you actually know this particular person, or are you just going on that I bought them on Ebay? I bought a few irises from Shreiner's as well, but I wanted to try several varieties of reds to see which one worked best for me. I am not an iris snob, and as long as it blooms as close to red as possible, she can call it 'Monkey's Uncle.' :) I just wondered if anyone had any experience with this variety. I did find it on DG, but no one had listed any feedback. They should be here next week. I guess I will post pictures next spring when they *fingers crossed* bloom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Caldron on DG

• denise_z7
    14 years ago

EMAIL me denise@snowpeakiris.com and I will share with you all that I personally know.

D

• njiris
    14 years ago

I have grown this iris before and it is an intense brick red. There are no true reds in iris, but there are reds with less of a 'brick' tone and more of a rose undertone.
    If you are 'into' red iris, one of the fun things to do is to pick out a few 'red' iris and grow them near each other and see which shade you like the best, or how they are different and enjoy the subtle differences.

• georgia_teacher
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, NJ. I have ordered (hopefully) Caldron, Almaden and War Chief. I also got some Ecstatic Echo, so we shall see. Denise, thanks for the offer, I emailed you. Great website, BTW.

• rockymountainiris
    14 years ago

I have never bought from the ebay seller your link is to but I can tell you the photo she shows of Spiced Tiger is not Spiced Tiger. I have quite a few shades of red irises. Witch of Endor is a nice dark red. Vita Fire is a nice red too. Copatonic is another favorite of mine. Marauder and Classic Bordeaux are nice too. I sometimes sell on ebay and I use my photos of my irises. I have repeat business also. I didn't sell this year, too busy trading them. You could see if this seller has repeat customers returning each year. If she does, she must be selling what she lists or the buyers don't know the difference.

• georgia_teacher
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good to know, RMI. The rhizomes are here and in the ground, so we will see what comes up, I guess. There was almost no green on them when they got here, and they looked a bit dry. One of the Midnight Oil I got from her was rotten, but as she sent four when I paid for two, I guess I shouldn't complain.

I got some Diamond Lil and Lo Ho Silver from another Ebay seller, and those rhizomes looked incredibly fresh, were well-marked. and had several inches of very green leaves.

After I ordered, someone suggested Vitafire(and I quite like the looks of it). I just looked Witch of Endor, and it is pretty too. I have an ever-growing list of "reds" to try for next year. I waited kind of late to order, but at least I will be better educated and prepared to order come next spring.

• georgia_teacher
    Original Author
    14 years ago

While I never heard back from Denise on this, she was definitely right. So, "Caldron" just bloomed. It is nice enough, but I definitely do not want a stupid purple plicata in my UGA bed! I doubt anything will come of it, but I contacted the seller via her Ebay account. I am going to give it a week and then contact Ebay directly. Lesson definitely learned.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=764187&l=1fd45ea4ba&id=1579387282

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations