Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dividing Iris

Posted by hibiscusfan zone 5 N.W. Oh. (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 1, 12 at 13:09

Do I need to dig the whole clump up when dividing or can I just dig half the clump?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dividing Iris

You can dig up as much of it as you want, but if, as may be the case, the whole clump is thick and in need of dividing, then dig up the whole thing. You'll be doing yourself and the plants a favor (new lease on life). Just my $.02.

Gary

o

Frequently I dig away half the clump. Since this leaves fresh cut rhizomes I make sure those cuts are open to the sun (move dirt if necessary). Don't allow water come in contact for a few days.

o

I will sometimes just take the shovel and cut off half the clump and then take that half I removed and break that up and replant.

It might not be the perfect gardener thing to do, but it works fine and it is faster.

It makes a difference how valuable the variety of iris is.

o

• Posted by minflick 9b/7, Boulder Creek, (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 18:57

Possibly silly questions - what tool do you use to dig them up? Shovel? Potato fork? I know you start out far enough that you don't slice a rhizome, and you want to damage roots as little as possible...

o

I use a spade.
Renee

o

I use a spade.
Renee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here