Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aquawise

My Collection so far

aquawise
12 years ago

This new gallery is what I had bloom for me this past spring! I have added 36 more colors for next year. I Know I am Hooked.

Here is a link that might be useful: Iris

Comments (16)

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

My goodness, you have a lot of irises! I really like the historic irises. I also love your photo of Helen Collingwood. Very nice! It must be nice to have all of those photos in one spot. I always forget to take "flower portraits" of my irises.

Renee

• timmba
    12 years ago

........ you'll be definately hooked when you wake up one morning only to discover that you grow over 700 varieties -- it happened to me. I'm glad that im not an uber collector. One of my iris acquaintances has over 2000 varieties!!! in her collection

• aquawise
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I would like to try breeding a few of my own. Mostly the Variegated ones. I have 2 colors on the fans, yellow on green and white on green, but the flowers are just pale blue. would like to get some with broken colored flowers like Botik. LOL I have a dream!! I am hooked! have been for years. Been rounding up some very old Types of Iris, they are very lovely and some are down right tuff to find. I am forever on the watch for old ones.

• timmba
    12 years ago

maybe this site might be of interest

Here is a link that might be useful: Historical Iris Preservation Society

• aquawise
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Got that one and 2 others on my book mark list. Kinda like having them on speed dial. The neighbor is digging up and tossing an old Iris she has had for many years. I think it is Ballerina, I have some starts from them! Hope to ID it when they Bloom. I think I will get some more starts before the trash truck comes on Wednesday, Maybe off them for postage. Hate to see them got to the trash.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

I admire people who hybridize irises. It takes so long to get results! What a labor of love.
    Renee

• kyme
    12 years ago

I am just getting started with an iris garden. Your's have given me several more to look for as they are beautiful!
    Martha

• aquawise
    Original Author
    12 years ago

kyme, PM me the ones you like. I might can help you.

• gottagarden
    12 years ago

Love the names on some of them - glamour pants! And it's a beauty.

I usually don't take "portraits" of my iris, I prefer to get combinations and companions. Yours are stunning!

• aquawise
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I took Portraits of each for my own records. That way I can ID them and keep track of the names of each one.
    Thanks for Looking. I have added 36+ more this fall plus some NOID Historic ones.

• wieslaw59
    12 years ago

Your NOID looks like Gay Parasol to me. Your picture of Best Bet is either 'too artistic' or it is just a mistaken identity. This is not the normal look of Best Bet.

• aquawise
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you wieslaw59! I though it might be that one the tag said it was but another person said the falls were not bark enough. Best bet! HUMmmm, I think it is just a bad pic. The tag said best bet !! I will give it one more season to be sure. This was it first flower. Thanks for you input! It helps a lot.

• kyme
    12 years ago

Hi,
    I love the Ewell Due, Guardian Angel, Veigalante, Love Story and Harvest Moon. I have Helen Collingwood, Harvest King, Armagedon and Wabash.
    Thanks,
    Martha (ggamm10563@aol.com)

• aquawise
    Original Author
    12 years ago

kyme!! I would trade some of the Ewell Due for some of your Harvest King. PM me OK?

• zaffisc
    12 years ago

Aquawise,
    I'm so glad you posted your photos, because I have now been able to ID a NOID of mine as "Harvest Moon". I "saved" it from a neighbor who moved (house vacant), and I now have 2 big clumps growing.
    I also live in Utah (Dugway), and am curious what makes it endangered. I tried to google this, but haven't had much luck. Do you have any history on this Iris? Thanks, Candy.

• aquawise
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It is endangered because it is had to find! Not to many people grow it so it is out of favor and slowly dieing out.It was Intro'd in 1944.
    Brighton park Iris has it listed as endangered. I love mine it was here when I bought this old House built in 1888. It was almost all dead but a few little rhizomes. It has been slow to make a come back but I think it is doing great now.
    Follow this link then scroll down to Harvest moon and click on that. It will show you the rest.

Here is a link that might be useful: Iris