Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwintering Potted Siberian Iris

Posted by harryshoe z6easternPA (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 8, 10 at 15:49

I received some Siberian Iris this spring. Some went into the garden, others into 6" or 8" pots. I plan to plant the potted ones in the garden next spring.

Can they be overwintered in an unheated garage? Other suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwintering Potted Siberian Iris

Harry, if these plants have established themselves in the pots.....you can just bury the pots in somewhere in your garden till spring. I have done this with several kinds of plants, including roses and they came through fine for me.

I don't know about an unheated garage. It wouldn't work for me here in zone 2.

Sierra

o
RE: Overwintering Potted Siberian Iris

I wouldn't risk leaving them in a garage. Sinking the pots would be better. But if you're going to the trouble to sink the pots, why not just go ahead and plant them if you've planned out the spot for them anyway. It's not too late and they're incredibly tough - I left some exposed in a pile in the garden over a northern MN winter. They all survived and bloomed without missing a beat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here