Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gypsum for heavy Mid-Atlantic Z7 Clay?

Posted by glitterglass Z7 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 10, 08 at 16:00

Hi there.

I can't even remember where I read it at this point, and my search of the iris forum here didn't turn anything up, but I did read somewhere that gypsum should be added to the soil to aid in drainage when planting Iris. I live in Washington DC and we have good old-fashioned clay.

I believe I came upon the gypsum suggestion when one Gardenweb member warned against the use of my normal soil amendment, Bumper Crop, since she found the East Coast variety to contain high amounts of Nitrogen.

After trying to balance various recommendations on the soil preparation and fertilization of Irises, I purchased one bag each of Espoma Gypsum (for drainage), Bone Meal, and Bulb Tone (the latter two for fertilizing). I was told that if using the Bulb Tone, which has a Nitrogen count of 4, I wouldn't need to use the bone meal.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks!

Jessie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gypsum for heavy Mid-Atlantic Z7 Clay?

See link below. I too have clay and remembered reading about the use of gypsum.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Gypsum Helps Recondition Clay And Hardpan Type Soils

o

I have California mountain red clay soil (the type where if it rains enough and you sink and when your husbands pulls you out your shoes are still in the mud and they are not good for anything but to be toss out) and the way I deal with it is to dig it out and put it somewhere else and order good fill dirt. I tried adding stuff and I would have to add so much it was better to dig it out. In some places I lay down cardboard then wire for gophers and put fill dirt right on top.

o

Sue,
Thank you---that's the best-looking link I've seen on information regarding gypsum use.

Chere,

What a story! Haha. Thanks for your response. That's more or less what I usually do with Bumper Crop, a soil amendment with compost in it. They recommend using 1/2 compost material (like Bumper Crop) and 1/2 regular soil for backfill, but I typically put in more compost than clay when filling the hole again.

However, I am planting Iris this time, so a member here alerted me to the fact that Bumper Crop could be damaging with its high Nitrogen content and I started looking for alternatives... gypsum was one of the ideas.

Jessie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here