Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ctlady_gw

Iris douglasiana in New England?

ctlady_gw
11 years ago

Can anyone suggest if there is a way to overwinter Iris douglasiana in the northeast US? We are in New England - zone 6 -- and I have some beautiful, recently sprouted seeds of Iris douglasiana, which I know is a West Coast variety and not hardy in our zone. However, I was thinking, since I had a bunch of seeds, that I could try germinating them and treating the resultant plants basically like annuals. However, it took from March until late July for the seeds to sprout, so it is now Sept. 1 and I have a mass of 2-inch high iris plants! Is there any way to overwinter them? I do have an indoor plant "house" enclosed in clear plastic that I use to keep the cats out of toxic plants over the winter (brugmansia, etc.) Can I overwinter these little iris until spring or is this a hopeless quest...the whole thing was really an experiment for me, and I was as surprised as anyone when the seeds sprouted last month. Now I hate to give up on the project, so need advice...they are in small pots right now, and the roots of each seem to be VERY long and sturdy, going right to the bottom of the pots. Any thoughts welcome... thanks!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm