Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
More eye candy for newbies

Posted by hosenemesis SoCal Sunset 19 USDA (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 15, 10 at 17:38

For those of you who can spend days looking at photos of irises, here's more to get you drooling. Gmason's photo page has kept me up all night in the past.

Here is a link that might be useful: gmason's iris photos on picturetrail

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: More eye candy for newbies

WOW! I see some I WANT!!!!!

o

how did he get the newbies to bloom in only 2 years? I have some seedlings that are over 3 years old, & they are still just baby size. what do I need to do to them to get blooms? any suggestions?

o

In all my life, I've never seen iris like these! I'm very new to growing iris. I dug up some iris in my mom's yard
not knowing what they looked like. Half of them bloomed last spring, but none were very exciting, all solid peach or periwinkle colors. I have tended them all this summer, just happy that I could get anything to bloom at all. I ordered some mail order blue shades, but I never saw anything like jmason's. How could I get something like that? sles

o

Hi sleslie,
You can get all of these irises and more, for very reasonable prices. The first thing to check for is if there is a local iris society in your neck of the woods. I belong to the San Fernando Valley Iris Society. From August through October, they have sales of iris rhizomes for very reasonable prices. Google the American Iris Society to find one near you.

Second, I predict you will be experiencing a great deal of pleasure in the next few days, as you look over the online catalogs of iris growers. Here are the names of a few you can google, and in the link below is a whole list of growers you can check out. Iris rhizomes cost between $3.00 and $50.00 apiece, and there are usually shipping charges. The expensive ones are brand new irises that growers have just "introduced" to the public.

As to your question on the other page about dividing, I would wait until next year after the bloom to divide them. If you can see lots of rhizomes crawling on top of old ones, then maybe now would be better, but otherwise it can wait.

Growers
Stanton Iris Gardens
Cooley's Iris Gardens
Sutton's Iris Gardens
Napa Valley Iris
Mid America Gardens
Schreiner's Iris
Iris4U
BlueJ Iris
Stout Gardens
Napa Country Gardens
Wild Iris Rows
and so many more...

Renee

Here is a link that might be useful: Brighton Park Iris Links Page

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here