Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Iris - which kind is it ?

Posted by greenish_thumb Tenn (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 17, 09 at 17:43

Hi all - hope you can help me ! I just offered some of my white "dutch" iris for our fall swap only to find out they're probably not "dutch" iris after all !

They are not full size (2/3 size of my bearded) and they aren't bulbs. They have pretty stiff leaves, not thin and don't curl. The foliage pretty much looks like the bearded except smaller and fuller, leaves not as thick.

I have a white with yellow on the falls that's a very hardy grower and I have had a dark purple with yellow but they died out a few years back. They were given to me so I have no clue !

Are they maybe spuria ? I found plenty of pictures of the blooms but not many of the foliage.

Thanks for your help !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Iris - which kind is it ?

Spuria foliage is far narrower than bearded iris foliage. It is also greener.

There are shorter spurias now but mine are tall ~40+ inches.

The link below shows a large clump.

This link has photos of foliage also:
http://www.spuriairis.com/culture.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.tiszaklub.hu/ruprecht/ruprecht_images/iris_spuria/iris_spuria1_logo.jpg

o

They may be I. orientalis (a.k.a. I. ochroleuca) which is one of the spuria ancestors. My clumps only grew about 2 feet tall. It has blooms like white dutch iris with yellow signals, and I am told that there is a purple form, too. Foliage is upright and sword-shaped, narrower than bearded Iris, but wider than dutch Iris. The picture on the link shows some foliage.

o
RE: Iris - which kind is it ? again!

Oops! Sorry, I know some plants, but I'm still fumbling my computer! The link I referred to is http://bayoucityheirloombulbs.com/images/Iris Orientalis 300.jpg. Hope that gets you to it.

o

Congrats. You've id-ed it.

o

Bingo !
Thank you all - I knew I'd come to the right place ! These have been passed around through our family for years, called dutch iris - you never know what you really have until you call it wrong in public.
Thanks again for your help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here