Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I move them again or wait until next year?

Posted by irisqueen217 7b-8a TX (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 3, 08 at 18:30

Hello all!

I have bed in the front yard that I suddenly realized is all laid out wrong.. lol

I was digging earlier this year, saw that some or my iris was rotting, so I had to dig up the majority of one side. I transplanted the ones that survived, and they are doing well. New growth, and healthy.

So since I just realized they are in the wrong spot, should I move them all now, or wait until next year? Most of them are young anyway, and won't likely bloom next year. Thanks in advance!!

-Liz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I move them again or wait until next year?

It's a toss-up if you're 6 weeks away from your first frost.

Speaking only for myself, I'd let them grow until next year. That way I could rule out the rot problem and really prepare the new location well.

o

Hi Liz, I'm in Fort Worth, Texas, and we are just now, and for the next several weeks entering the idea time to plant/transplant bearded iris. If you are not happy with the location, now is the time to move them. According to their web site, The Fort Worth Iris Society is having their annual rhizome sale Saturday Sept. 27th at the Fort Worth Botanic Garden Center starting at 9:00 AM. That would be a good place to meet folks from the area, get advise, and maybe pick up a few rhizomes.

Good Luck... Dan

o

I decided to move them.. Thanks for the input! I'll try to see if I can get to that FtWorth Iris sale... It's a bit far for me, but I hope I can make it work! Thanks for the heads up!

-Liz

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here