Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jt_gardener

New to the Site and to Irises!

jt_gardener
13 years ago

Hello everyone,

I am brand new to the site. First, I wanted to say hello to everyone. : ) I am also new to Irises.

A friend of mine in Dallas has been thinning out her Iris beds, and she sent me a box of tubers today that will bloom white Irises. I am soon to receive another box that will bloom yellow Irises. I have no idea what kinds these are, as she does not know herself. She told me they were already growing in the garden whence she bought her house 42 1/2 years ago! So, this is going to be something of an adventure for me on more than one level.

Unfortunately, my back yard gets virtually no sun, and my front garden gets relatively little sun, so I am pressed for a place to plant the tubers. I read on this website, however, that they will grow in large, deep containers, at least for a season or so. Therefore, I am planning to put the tubers in containers. Our winters here in north central Texas are relatively mild compared to the eastern and northern parts of the country. We get perhaps two or three snow falls a year, usually in January and February, so I am not particularly worried about relentlessly severe cold. I am a tiny bit concerned, however, about the soil I plan to use, or I should say reuse.

I read in another forum that it is fine to reuse potting soil, and as I have plenty to reuse, I would like to use it for the Iris tubers. I am on a pretty tight budget, so if I can reuse, recycle, renew, I am all for it! Of course, I plan to pull out anything I see in the soil and add some bone meal to it, and perhaps after I put in the tubers add water with a bit of all purpose fertilizer. Does this sound like a reasonable plan, or am I about to make a mistake, either using pots or reusing potting soil or not putting in the correct additives? I scatter planted Daffodils across the front lawn last fall, and I only used bone meal for them, and they came up just fine, although the red Tulips I planted did not do as well.

I am hoping that by next year I may have the front yard sorted out a bit more and so be able to find a spot where I can put the Irises in the ground. The front yard faces north, but there is light coming from the west, albeit fairly diffused by a tree. I lease my place, so I am hesitant to put too much money into it at once, on the one hand, but on the other hand, whilst I have a yard once again after not having one for many years, I want to enjoy it.

Nice to meet everyone, and I hope you will please share your ideas with me.

Thanks,

jt

Comments (11)

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Welcome, jt. That's really nice of your friend to share her plants.

Your irises probably fall into the general category of "historic" irises. After they bloom, you may be able to identify them by comparing them point by point to irises on the HIPs website and other sites dedicated to historic irises.

The more sun you can give them the better. They should do just fine in reused potting soil. I don't think they need bone meal- they are not bulbs- but I also don't know if it would help or harm. They really just need good drainage and sunlight with an occasional good watering. Irises do not like fertilizers that are high in nitrogen: it can make them rot.

Irises are easy-care plants, and they should give you lots of pleasure in the years to come.

Renee

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

I would add fertilizer to pre-used soil. As Hosenemesis said it must be low nitrogen for beardeds. Any non-acidic 5-10-10, 5-9-7 ~~ that type of ratios (5 is the nitrogren).

I use bonemeal in beds only, as it takes a year or so to become available to roots.

• jt_gardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Hosenemesis and Iris_gal! Thanks for the welcome and for the advice. Someone else told me that the whites could do quite well here in Fort Worth with partial sun, so I might toss a few along the side of the house. There is so little there, and it could use something cheerful. I was told the white ones may very well be "cemetary irises," which need very little care. That is always good to know.

I will be sure to post again in the spring to let everyone know how they turned out! Thanks again.

jt

• bkay2000
    13 years ago

Once established, you can't kill cemetery irises. They keep on keeping on in our climate year after year. Mine are in the alley. They rarely get water. I've lived here 15 years, and they increase and decrease, with the changes in weather, but there are always cemetery irises in my alley.

In that wet year we had two or three years ago, I lost a lot of my irises to rot. However, it was the newer varieties that died. My older varieties survived with just slightly diminished clumps.

They'll grow and survive anywhere. They just won't bloom if they don't get enough sunlight, or blooms will be sparser.

I have a pot of iris that I've had for about 3 years. I meant to put them there only until I made a new bed. Some how, they are still there. They never have bloomed, but have survived.

Bkay
    Dallas

• sleslie
    13 years ago

I'm wondering if I have spaced my iris to close to one another. If I were to divide them now, what chance would they have of blooming next June? I live in a mountain region in So Cal. My winter begins around November. When I first created my iris bed it was in October of 2009. First year I had just a few blooms, and this last spring I had 20 plants blooming. Now that they have shown what they can do, do I want to take the chance that division will cramp their style? sles

• chadinlg Zone 9b Los Gatos CA
    13 years ago

To a large degree the blooms are already set inside the rhizomes right now, so as long as they are moved/divided in a way which preserves most of the root structure, and they have time to re-establish new feeder roots they would be fine. November is late, but since you are in a fairly mild zone they should be growing roots all winter.

As a suggestion I would not dig an entire clump, but instead cut out only a few impacted rhizomes from each clump. Those rhizomes left in the ground should be fine.

I once moved many iris to a temporary bed in summer during construction and moved them back in February, and still had OK bloom. In this case I used a large shovel to dig each small clump and tried to keep much of the rootball intact.

Chad

• jt_gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I waited anxiously this spring for my Irises to bloom, but they never did. I planted yellow ones near the front door, and I planted the white ones on the side of the house. The white ones made the healthiest looking stalks.

The friend who shared the bulbs with me told me they were very easy to grow. Anyone know why they still have not bloomed? It is now mid June!

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

You mean they put up bloom stalks but then the stalks did not bloom? That would be very odd.

• aseedisapromise
    12 years ago

I am in a place way farther north than you, so I'm not sure if my experience would be helpful, but one thing we may have in common is dry weather in the spring sometimes. Perhaps your iris were too dry for the buds to open? That is, if you mean they put up bloom stalks but the buds didn't open. Iris can tolerate a lot of dryness, but if it is dry during bloomtime and you don't water them, it can ruin the blooms.

• jt_gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Perhaps I did not give them enough water, but I did water them. I think the problem was probably that they do not get nearly enough sun.

I had the same problem with my daffodils this spring. The stalks came up, but there were no blooms. The daffodils had a lot of sun, so I do not think that was the problem. I think the problem with the daffodils was that the previous year the stalks were mowed down before they had enough time to gather enough energy from the sun to bloom this last spring.

I have a terrible time with the people who mow my lawn, but there is nothing I can do about it. The man will whack through pots, mow down bulbs, and mows so low that instead of a mowing it is more of a scalping of my lawn. The "landscape maintenance," however, is included in my rent, and I cannot fire the guy because he is the father of the estate agent who manages the property for the owner, who lives in California. Really, the father should not be doing any sort of yard work at this point, as he is 82 and does not appear to be in good shape, but guess what? If the father does not mow, the estate agent does it himself, and he does just as crumby a job as his father. They just do not care about the property or the tenants, but they do not want to let the money that is spent on the "landscape maintenance" go to someone else. They want to keep the money in the family, as it were. It so frustrating. I cannot even get them to sharpen the lawn mower blades so that they cut instead of tear the grass. : (

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

What a bummer. I wonder if they would let you mow instead. I gave up trying to garden at my last apartment because people used the flower beds to do all sorts of awful things. I feel your pain.
    Renee

Sponsored