Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tugbrethil

'Good Looking' Iris question?

tugbrethil
14 years ago

September of 2008 I planted some rhizomes of 'Good Looking" tall bearded Iris,and they have been acting like no other TB that I know! They scarcely grew through the winter--when most other varieties do most of their growing, here. They suddenly started growing very rapidly in early April, but didn't bloom (not too surprising the first spring). They stayed much greener through the summer than most bearded Iris do here. Now they are showing early signs of flower bud formation--spreading fans with undulate margins on the inner leaf. What's going on? Does this variety ever rebloom? will those buds (if they exist) survive to bloom this spring? Any info from you Iris gurus would be very welcome!

Comments (10)

• iris_gal
    14 years ago

The only comment I've read about Good Looking comes from a gal in Australia. For her it's a good increaser.

I don't think Schreiners list it as a rebloomer.

If they are forming visable flower buds now, those same buds will not last until May 2010.

Your iris seems to be out of sync. Did it come from a different climate zone?

• tugbrethil
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for replying!
    The flower buds, if any, aren't visible yet: I'm referring to the behavior of the foliage, which matches that of most TB's when a fan is getting ready to bloom soon. As for the climate of origin, I got the rhizomes from Schreiner's themselves, at the appropriate planting date for our climate.
    As for my climate, I prefer to use the Western Garden Book (WGB) climate zone, because the USDA and Arnold Arboretum Zones are nearly useless in the desert--There's a big difference between Phoenix, AZ and Tacoma, WA!
    I hope that clarifies things.

• iris_gal
    14 years ago

I use Sunset also Tug. Glad you straightened out my misunderstanding on the formation of buds. I am always shocked. When I turn around there is a flower stalk. It seems to appear overnight. Will have to watch the foliage more carefully this spring. Hope Good Looking is a winner for you. I've had this iris on my list because of its color description.

• tugbrethil
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Iris gal, I may not have helped identify early bud formation. 'Good Looking' has resumed growth--again slow and small--and all of what I thought were early bud signs quietly disappeared. So, I suppose I'll hope to report on bloom this spring (I hope!) Anyone else's experience with this variety will be welcome.

Thank you!
    Kevin : )

• tugbrethil
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Aarrgghh!! All of the lovely tall leaves that formed over the summer are turning yellow and dropping off. New growth is still yellow, and still small. It looks like an exact repeat of their first year!

Has anyone in the subtropical zones (USDA zone 9, abouts) grown this variety? And please tell me what happened to yours?

Thanks,
    Kevin : /

• tugbrethil
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oops!

I meant to say, "New growth is still healthy, but still small."

I'll be perfect tomorrow. Remember that tomorrow never comes!

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

Hey Kevin- that's how all of my irises look at this time of year. All of the old foliage from last year is yellowed and dying, and new baby leaves are forming. The leaves should take off this spring and grow tall.
    Renee

• tugbrethil
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Around here Iris mostly grow tall in the winter. Usually, the more they grow, the better they bloom the next spring. I keep hoping that 'Good Looking' will be an exception, but if it doesn't bloom this spring, it's outta here!

Kevin : /

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

I'm with you on that- I don't have enough Springs in my future to wait three years for an iris to bloom. It blooms by the second year or it goes over to my neighbor's neglected parkway, where they thrive.
    Renee

• tugbrethil
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hah! Two of my clump of ten 'Good Looking' rhizomes are producing long leaves, and acting like they might bloom this spring. Too early by far to be sure--especially after my previous attempt to forecast bloom. But hope springs eternal, even if flowers don't! Will continue to keep you posted about these contrary critters. Maybe I'll learn something.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022