Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
18 New Ones

Posted by burwoodbelle 6-7 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 6, 11 at 20:10

I drove over to Rocky Top Garden today to pick up a surprise grab bag of Iris.Irealy got some great ones.Here they are.
Birthday Magic
Fallalary
Chinook Dreams
Cave Man
Smoldering Fire
Magical Realism
Ruby Morn
Open Your Heart
Block Buster
Jennifer Stout
Mango Parfait
Lady Of The Snow
Abby Song
Abby Sunrise
Black Draft
Magnifigent Master Piece
Chief Soo Happy
UFO
We have had 5.50in.of rain the last 48hr will plant as soon as possiable.Question????? Do I trim the roots any.
Thanks Pat

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 18 New Ones

I usually trim the roots back to 2"-3" for planting ease, and have had no noticeable problems.

Hopefully others will reply.

o

I don't trim the roots. Those look freshly dug, so if you can dig big enough holes, I'd plant them the way they are.
Renee

o

you might shorten the roots up a little bit, but the longer the root the better you can get them to stand upright in the ground. I've gotten iris from e~bay sellers where the roots were non existant because they were totally trimmed off. they were extremely hard to plant because there wasn't anything left to make them stay upright. so, all you can do with iris like that is just put them partly under the dirt & hope they make some new roots on them. so, if you do shorten the roots that's fine just don't take them all the way down to the rhyzome, because then you'll have trouble planting them.
that's a nice grab bag you managed to find. good job.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here