Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
please help!!!!

Posted by valtorrez 6a (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 14, 09 at 20:40

I recently was working in yard and happened to notice the rhizome of some iris that were already planted when I purchased my house 1 year ago totally showing from the ground. I don't remember these iris blooming this summer but I noticed this weekend that I am seeing foliage pushing through the ground. Is this not late in the season to be doing this? I placed a thin layer of compost and garden soil over the whole section of iris that I could see their rhizomes. Is that okay?

Also while cleaning up this area and digging around gate, my husband found around 20-30 bulbs that were in good condition. I deciede to plant these bulbs in sunny areas of my yard. I planted behind some old tiger lilies. There was a nice size space between lilies and the gate. Do you think this will be okay?

Lastly my friend asked how was I sure the bulbs were iris and not onion bulbs. Does anyone know the difference between the two?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: please help!!!!

Rhizomes of bearded iris are planted with the top half exposed. As far as new growth, that is the nature of their growth cycle. A baby rhizome is growing off the mother rhizome. I haven't read the FAQ lately but it has additional information.

I only grow Allium unifolium and the drumstick one (can't remember correct name). They are more rounded than Dutch iris bulbs, smaller, and the covering is more fragile. The Dutch iris bulb is less rounded.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here