Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery iris- overwinter in pots?

Posted by kimscott Houston TX (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 24, 10 at 20:46

I recently recieved about 60 ?? iris plants that still have leaves on them (some are yellowing). I am moving soon and don't want to plant them. Can I store them like flower bulbs in a box with no soil? Should I cut the leaves off? I do have a greenhouse. I am in zone 8b and we don't get hard freezes but usually a few nights below freezing. Any advice is appreciated as I am a newbie to gardening!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery iris- overwinter in pots?

What kind of iris are they???

Since yoiu don't have long hard freezes I think they would be fine in pots. If they are beardless (Japanese, Siberians) they may need some watering.

If they are bearded you may be ok with dry storage til spring. It depends upon cultivar and health of the rhizomes. Do not keep beardeds moist.

Good luck.

o
RE: Mystery iris- overwinter in pots?

Assuming they're bearded iris (the most common kind in Texas):

I wouldn't cut the leaves off, & if possible I'd put them in pots;
it'll be less stressful on the plants.

If it isn't possible to plant them in pots, they'll probably be fine stored in a box, but it will likely take another year after you do plant them before they have the energy to bloom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here