Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellarosa009

Long's Iris Nursery in Colorado

bellarosa
18 years ago

Has anyone ever ordered from this nursery? Are they still in business? I'm new to irises and saw some that they carry.

Thanks.

Evelyn

Comments (14)

• windwhipped
    18 years ago

I have heard good things about them, but never ordered. You might want to post your question on the Rocky Mountain forum - lots of people from Colorado there.

• Grandpa7
    18 years ago

I have a sentimental feeling about Long's Gardens. I ordered my first iris from them when I was still in grammar school. Somehow, I got hold of a couple or dollars and ordered three. Two were LUCRETIA BORI and CHERRIO. I can't remember the other one.
    I would dearly love to have these iris growing in my garden again. Does anyone know where they could be obtained?
    To find out of they are still in business, which there wer a year or so ago, just enter Long's Gardens into your search engine.
    Vernon Johnson
    Mesena,Ga.

• thurston
    18 years ago

This is their website: http://www.longsgardens.com/homepage.html

but their catalog page hasn't been updated since 2001. Not a good sign.

Neil

• phantomfyre
    18 years ago

They have an ad in the October 2005 AIS Bulletin, but do not have their website listed in the ad. Perhaps they are having difficulties maintaining/updating the website. There is an email address: iris-info(at)longsgardens(dot)com (Replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .)

Hope this helps,
    Diana

• lilgreenfrog
    16 years ago

Hi, I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to mention that they are very much still in business; I just got my iris from them this year. They're not as big as they used to be, and the website isn't updated/has no photos. However, they certainly have a catalogue you can send for, and I believe they're still creating new cultivars (I got one called More Reign, a SDB that is a lovely dark purple/burgandy that I think is new this year).
    They are really neat people; I hadn't been in years, but when they saw my last name they immediately asked about my mother - she has probably 200 different varieties of their iris, but hasn't been there in several years.
    Anyway, do give them your business if they have something you'd like...their plants are always large and healthy.

Best, Lara

• berrytea4me
    15 years ago

I haven't taken a drive down there in a couple years but they have a really nice garden to visit in person too. As Lara said, really nice folks.

I didn't know they ever had a website. In 2005 they only had a black & white catalog that was a list w/o photos. Seemed a little behind on the technology thing. They may have a cd catalog by now. Other small iris farms in CO have developed that method of sharing photos if the technology is too much for them to do.

• iris_gal
    15 years ago

I was able to reach their page with Neil's link less the ending.

A note said 2008 ordering was over and the Iris > didn't connect to a listing --- disabled?

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.longsgardens.com/

• blissfulgarden
    15 years ago

I was able to get to the catalog to see what they offered. You have to click on "Irises" and then expand out the directory to the next level to select between "Dig It Yourself" and "Catalog". Here's a direct link to the catalog:

http://www.longsgardens.com/gallery.php

Ev =)

• iris_gal
    15 years ago

Thanks Blissful ~~ think having Java Script disabled caused me not to get the menu.

Now I can't figure out how to see the 2nd page of thumbnails of the TBs!

Very true colors!

• blissfulgarden
    15 years ago

I just clicked on the photo numbers at the bottom of the page to advance. That doesn't work for you? Ev =)

• iris_gal
    15 years ago

No numbers --- will try another computer. Thank you. Nice Job on your website!

• iris_gal
    15 years ago

Another computer worked. What great pics and lots I've not seen from Magee, Miller, Durrance and others. Thanks again Blissful.

• carlos42180
    15 years ago

I have to say that I was very impressed with this company so far. I ordered from them for the first time this year. I only ordered SDBs and one IB. When I got my order, all the rhizomes where attached to the old mother and the increases were the size of golf balls -- on SDBs I mind you. They could have easily separated that into individual rhizomes, but they didn't. So I really received four for the price of one. If I have room next year, I'll definitely be placing another order.

Carlos

• carlos42180
    15 years ago

I have to say that I was very impressed with this company so far. I ordered from them for the first time this year. I only ordered SDBs and one IB. When I got my order, all the rhizomes where attached to the old mother and the increases were the size of golf balls -- on SDBs I mind you. They could have easily separated that into individual rhizomes, but they didn't. So I really received four for the price of one. If I have room next year, I'll definitely be placing another order.

Carlos

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH